Vertical drain involve using just one trap for both the washer and the sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Peterogg

Reaction score
index.php

Hi you kind people:
Is this allowed under UPC, too? Would save me some work and material.
Regards,
Peter

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not sure what jurisdiction's version of the UPC is applicable to you, so here is the relevant section of the CA UPC:

The general rule is "Each plumbing fixture shall be separately trapped . . ." But it does say "a trap serving a laundry tub shall also be permitted to receive the waste from a clothes washer set adjacent to it." Normally I would think that would mean putting the outlet hose of the clothes washer into the laundry sink, rather than having a standpipe sharing a trap as in the IPC diagram. But I guess a permissive reading of that sentence could be considered to allow the IPC diagram; you'd need to check with your AHJ.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
UPC wording looks questionable , Dont know where job is I think Illinois is IPC based? generally I think it flys in IPC , Illinois has a lot of thier own stuff added

Reach4

Reaction score
I think Illinois plumbing code is not closely related to any other code.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I saw one referance that Illinois was based on IPC but it does seem to be its own code. But in this case the OP is interested in UPC for reasons not given

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks