Vermont, zone 4, sump pump outside drainage question

Users who are viewing this thread

Phaewryn

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm not a plumber. I'm not an engineer. I'm not even all that mechanically-inclined, but this spring, after months of using my pond pump and a garden hose run out the window, which would freeze, and I'd have to bring it in to thaw overnight, then run back out the next day (a ton of work in deep snow and mid calf deep freezing water), I installed the best recommended sump pump in my basement because I live in a house built on top of Vermont bedrock with exposed natural bedrock in the basement and a slope in the back which drains into it and it becomes a spring/pond, more or less, from the groundwater, any time there is a thaw all winter and spring. It's just now drying up here in June with the sump pump only kicking on every hour instead of being like every 5-15 minutes most of late winter into spring (with no pump it just fills to like a foot deep and stays that way all spring). Unfortunately the existing sump basin is poured concrete in the foundation and too small (about the size of a Home Depot 5 gallon bucket which is what I drilled holes in to make a basin basket out of), and nothing I can do about that (budget doesn't allow for any resolution of that), but I'm ok with the pump running more often (have to be, no option).

My bigger issue that I now need to figure out is how to move a pond's worth of water over the late winter into spring from my basement to the street (where there is a drain), when I can't dig to below the frost line because I'm hitting solid rock and my sump pump's exit in the foundation is above ground anyway. What I'm wondering is if I run partially above ground and partially buried 1&1/4"PVC (which is what I plumbed my sump out with) wrapped with thermostatically controlled heat tape wrapped in pipe insulation, if I maintain a downhill slope, will that not freeze in winter? How minimal can the slope be, and can I do 90 degree bends to navigate landscaping features? Will the heat tape be enough on those bigger, thicker 90 degree PVC joiners which I obviously won't be able to insulate, or will those be troublesome freeze points? Should I give up on the idea of getting all this water to the street drain (which involves moving it a long distance from where the sump pump exits the house around several 90 degree turns then landscaping in a creekbed) and just make a rain garden/pond in the closer side of the front yard (which would be a much less complex run)?

I know nothing about sump pumps. I had never touched one before I installed this one. This is an odd case, as I have never heard of anyone else moving a creek worth of water out of their basement as a regular matter of course, but it is what it is. The water is here. It can't be stopped. I need to move it out. I need to get it away from the house, and I need a better solution than the current method of dumping it into the front yard, as currently it floods the whole front yard (mud so boggy I can't mow the grass until June as the lawn mower sinks), floods the whole street in front of the house, and makes sheet ice across the road all winter, which I am sure none of my neighbors or the town appreciates. I either need to get it to the other side of the yard where it will go to the drain in the road (which means figuring out some pipe that won't freeze), or I need to make a raingarden/pond in the side where in goes now so it stop flooding the street. Opinions? Ideas?

Oh, and not that it matters, but I'm a renter. My landlady is an owner-occupant. I do handy-person work around here as she lost her husband last year, so I don't have full control, but she is open to my suggestions, and the sump pump was my suggestion/recommendation and she paid for that and I did the work. We have a good working relationship. She doesn't have a lot of money though as a widow (her husband left a lot of medical bills), so I help her out when I can. I'm just totally inexperienced with this stuff. I have no idea what I am doing. I want to be doing it the best way though (within budget constraints, which means very very little budget). Please advise! Should I just tell her we need to build a rain garden as the pipe will never work?

I can post some photos if helpful?

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't have experience with the deep prolonged cold that you experience on the east coast. But heat tape should prevent the pipe from freezing I would think.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks