Verify pressure tank size

Users who are viewing this thread

Richard D White

Reaction score
Just want to verify before I buy. My well pumps 7 gal/min. I currently have a 28 gal pressure tank but I am moving the new one under the house. I want to use a 44 gal because they are shorter than the 32. Any issue?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
No issue but a 44 gallon tank only holds 12 gallons of water. Still going to be lots of cycling on and off. If space is a problem you can use one of these that only needs a 4.5 gallon size tank.

Reach4

Reaction score
A 28 gallon tank will have a 1 inch npt thread. A 44 will have a 1-1/4 thread. Adapt as needed.

Pressure switch tee needs to be near the pressure tank so that the pressure switch and pressure tank input see the same pressure.

Richard D White

Reaction score
Can someone educate me on tank lingo? Some tanks have a drawdown gallon which I assume is the amount of water before the pump kicks on. I got a water worker tank and it only has "gallon equivalent " so my 44 gallon tank says 120 gallon equivalent. I'm confused.

Reach4

Reaction score
Can someone educate me on tank lingo? Some tanks have a drawdown gallon which I assume is the amount of water before the pump kicks on. I got a water worker tank and it only has "gallon equivalent " so my 44 gallon tank says 120 gallon equivalent. I'm confused.
Ignore "gallon equivalent ".
The tank will supply less than the drawdown rating before the pump kicks on.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Any pressure tank only holds about 25% water and 75% air. Your water comes from the well and pump, not the tank. All a tank is for is to reduce the number of on/off cycles, and when you have a Cycle Stop Valve to do that for you a small pressure tank is all that is needed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks