Venting Washer and Kitchen Sink Help

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnnyFive

Reaction score
I'm currently remodeling my 1950's kitchen and need to place the washer/dryer in the kitchen area. Is this the correct way to vent the washer and sink in one drain?

Existing drain pipe is cast iron.

Attachments

• Kitchen-Venting-Diagram-Small.jpg
    Kitchen-Venting-Diagram-Small.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 87

Reach4

Reaction score
Houston proper uses UPC.

In general, a very nice diagram.

So if there is a problem, one could be needing 2 inch when you did not state pipe size. Also, the elbow under the standpipe santee needs to be long sweep, and not street.

The elbows = 1/4 bends would not be street; you want to connect to pipes on each end. Street means that one port is made to go into a fitting hub.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is your counter top 6" below that horizontal vent below the window?

Although there's not much you can do about it with things the way they are. Your drain pipe should be on one side of the window or the other with a trap arm over to the middle of the window.

Depending on how accessible things are and how correct you want to be you should move that (cast iron?) drain pipe and change it to pvc.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is your counter top 6" below that horizontal vent below the window?
For the OP, if it's not, then the layout below could be used, assuming it doesn't result in a trap arm longer than 42" (including the part in the cabinet). [If it's just over 42", some trickery with pipes at 45 degrees could get it there.] I didn't update the text or show the necessary fittings.

Cheers, Wayne

GhKOUhEl.jpg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
For the OP, if it's not, then the layout below could be used, assuming it doesn't result in a trap arm longer than 42" (including the part in the cabinet). [If it's just over 42", some trickery with pipes at 45 degrees could get it there.] I didn't update the text or show the necessary fittings.

Cheers, Wayne

View attachment 92245
I thought about something similar, but kitchen sinks are ones that build up a lot of gunk. It'll need cleanouts added with this layout. Although the high flow of the washing machine on their common drain will could provide a lot of help.

I think an island vent type of layout might be optimal.

JohnnyFive

Reaction score
Thank you for replies!

The bottom of the window sill is 38" and the counter top will be 35". The kitchen sink will be right on front of the window and the washing machine will be to the far left.

Attachments

• Kitchen-Venting-Diagram-3.jpg
    Kitchen-Venting-Diagram-3.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 75

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The bottom of the window sill is 38" and the counter top will be 35". The kitchen sink will be right on front of the window and the washing machine will be to the far left.
So that's a violation as shown, since the dry vent isn't supposed to go horizontal until 6" above the sink flood rim, which is 41" if you are using an undermount sink.

UPC or IPC? How far is it horizontally between the dry vent to the left of the window and the dry vent just above the kitchen sink san-tee?

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
personaly I like the first method best but dosent pass code . BTW you can run the trap arm outside the wall under cabinet and save the the studs turning to swiss cheeze.
This is an old problem Ive been reemed by inspectors we put an Island sink the inspector says Island sink is only when its no other option , run vent high but less than 6 inches above flood rim , same thing. You tell inspector (upc) but I cant get a trap arm over there its too long! then he says we;ll run a 2 inch trap and arm. sinks under windows , and butt hole inspectors , make our life hard sometimes ha ha...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks