Venting toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

TonyBotzZz

Reaction score
Hello. I just had a bathroom remodeled in my basement. The air vent for the toilet is coming out of the side of the new 4 inch sewer line that taps into the existing 4 inch sewer line and connects to the existing air vent. Is it ok that the toilet vent comes out of the side? I hope I explained this enough. Thanks

Helper Dave

In the Trades
Reaction score
Like out the side of the pipe in the floor? If so, it needs to have the little branch of a wye fitting rolled up at a 45 degree angle so the vent pipe is above the center line of the 4" pipe.

TonyBotzZz

Reaction score
Like out the side of the pipe in the floor? If so, it needs to have the little branch of a wye fitting rolled up at a 45 degree angle so the vent pipe is above the center line of the 4" pipe.
Hello. Thanks for replying. I am attaching a photo. Everything is buried now though. So if it's wrong what can I do? Thanks.

Attachments

• 20201116_155150.jpg
    20201116_155150.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 183

TonyBotzZz

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I didn't realize anything was wrong until after the bathroom was completed.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
That doesn't change the force of any of the previous 3 comments. What has been done can be undone and redone.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
yep agree not to code and likely wont perform well. just very poor workmanship makes us all mad. It might work but why do work like that? I guess somebody dosent know better but feel like someone is getting screwed on this

TonyBotzZz

Reaction score
My major concern is the toilet that makes more turns than it's supposed to. My main sewer line got clogged from it. I've been having clog issues even before the new bathroom. But now the toilet piping is basically making a U turn to get out into the main line. So obviously its contributing to the clog. When I flush it appears the water is flushing normally. Shower drain and sink drain appear to be draining nicely as well. I should mention that everything in the house drain into the same house to street line. I'm thinking that due to all the turns that shouldn't be, toilet paper and stuff is not able to get out of that u turn the way it should. Plus, the toilet water is not as much as it once was. Is there a quick fix for any of this until I have money to fix it correctly. Would a different toilet help? I've poured a full bucket in the toilet and the water went down very quick.

I understand the frustration everyone has when something is not done right. You live and you learn I guess.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I hate to rip into the workmanship. And dont want to make it worse.
Event hough things arent how they should be , the toilet should drain without any problem if you have fall or proper fall 1/4 per foot or even 1/8th plus... thats 4 inch so it should drain fine. Sure you dont want too many turns but going down a 4 inch brand new clean pipe you can do almost anything it will drain. Is that 4 inch tieing into 3 inch cast iron , another no no reducing pipe size? So in my opinion the pvc work is not cause of stoppage unless you got chunks of concrete , back fall or something I cant see, its not the turns or the san tees those can be long term issues but not a problem right away

TonyBotzZz

Reaction score
Thanks Jeff. Rip in all you want. I believe everything including the cast iron is 4 inch. The vent that i am talking about was not thought to be a vent prior to installation. I have a slop sink out side the bathroom that was believed to be draining inside the bathroom originally. The contractor said that when he put the slop sink on water came out of that pipe. So he hooked it up like a drain. When I had my main line camera scoped we put on the slop sink and noticed that it wasn't draining in the bathroom like he thought. Or maybe it's draining in 2 spots for some apparent reason. House was built in the 40s so who knows.
I attached the old pipe layout. There was never a sink in the bathroom. Just a toilet and a shower. The new bathroom is inverted. Toilet in the old pic is now the shower. The shower area in the old pic is where the sink is now. The sink has a quick vent. And of course the toilet is in the new area where nothing was. The length of the bathroom is about 8 feet.

Attachments

• 20201026_163042.jpg
    20201026_163042.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 165

TonyBotzZz

Reaction score
The pipe in the new route that goes up the wall is a sink drain. Not a vent. That sink drain has a quick vent.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
none of this expains the slow drain of w/c. unless you are planning to jackhammer it all out which Im not adovocating doing or not doing at this point . the santees on side are wrong but one of the things that bothers me is tub or shower trap " May" sipohon breaking the trap seal. but no reason for this to plug up or drainslow . I think your problem is in the castiron drains. since its already finished I would avoid digging it all out because I think you could redo all the plastic and still have a problem

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hm. I thought buried by dirt.. not covered in concrete and finished floor. It would need to be camera'd in order to understand why its not draining properly. That way you can pinpoint the problem and determine whether its clogged or not. If not then start looking at venting. Tho there are a lot of openings in that 4" that are acting as vents for every fixtre attatched.

TonyBotzZz

Reaction score
Yeah all the new piping is covered with dirt and concrete plus finished floor. I had my main sewer line drain camera scoped and up to the new bathroom and everything was clear. Everything in the bathroom seems to be draining properly. Except for a slight subtle bubble when the toilet flushes. And again I've had a clog in the main line prior to the new bathroom. Seems the clog is happening at the same spot. My gutters litre is in that path as well. So may be a bunch of things clashing with each other. Especially going from an occasional bathroom visit to more regular usage.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Agree Tuttle , I thought it was all concreted and finish set Id camera it I suppose ?I dont have a camera. So I might try my hand on snake . I cant see how venting in this situation could cause slow drain

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks