Venting the kitchen sink

Users who are viewing this thread

nh3

Reaction score
About to close up the last wall on the kitchen remodel and have a question. Does the kitchen sink, by code, have to be vented if my trap is within 4' of the 4" stack? I'm dealing with 3 options here. 1. The original set up, stack in wall at the corner. The vent line running out the wall just under the window(inside the base cabinet) and 90* down to the t & trap then through the floor looping back to the stack in the cellar. This does not put me 6" above flood rim but it worked and that's how it was. My least favorite option because I'll have to engineer the line through the base. Old cabinets were custom. I'll be going off the shelf. 2. AAV or 3. If applicable, no vent.

Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

Your description is illogical, because if it comes out of the wall, where does it go? If if it goes over and down to the tee and trap, they may not be in a legal location. A photo, drawing, or better description would help clear up the ambiguities.

Bombjay

Reaction score
Provided its 1 1/2 you need to have a vent within 42".I'm not crazy abot AAV's
becaudse of the moving parts could fail where a vent will not if plumbed properly.
You have gone through a lot of trouble to remodel your kitchen so the plumbing may as well be correct also!Bite the bullet and do it nice.You will be happier in the end!

nh3

Reaction score
Thanks all. Rather than running the vent under the window & inside the back of the base cab, like before, I'm just going to use the aav. Can't go up Terry cuz of the window in front of the sink.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I hope you are aware the AAV can not be buried in the wall. There must be access to it in case it fails in the future.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I find it very interesting that you can't run a proper vent because there is a window behind the sink... That must be why nobody ever puts a window behind a kitchen sink... Oh wait a minute... Almost every kitchen sink I see has a window behind it! I wonder if they alll have AAV's... As I have often said where there is a will there is a way... See the diagram below...

kitchensinkdrainwwindow.jpg

As I have often said AAV's are for lazy plumbers! People that take the easy way out and end up having some Tin House on Wheels plumbing! They actually like the farting noise the AAV makes as it lets air in to protect the trap seal and they also like the poop smell they give off when they fail!

outhouseaav.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks