Venting Shower for new 3/4 Bath???

Users who are viewing this thread

RiverLodge

Reaction score
Looks simple enough.

Is it ok to run this shower drain approximately 1' and tie it into the 3" vent with a vertical santee? Or option #2, run the shower drain to vanity wet vent?

Attached photo #1 - Shower Trap in Crawl - #2 Washer directly above on main cabin floor - #3 - The big picture, shower right / vanity center / WC will be last downstream left / 4" wastepipe to septic.

Thanks in advance for your professional response.
RiverLodge

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 184
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 178
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 171

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If I am looking at your 1st drawing correctly, the shower can connect to the 3" vent which I assume is going straight up through the roof.

Once that shower is using the line as it's drain, none of the other fixtures there will be able to use it as a vent, unless the vent connections are made on the floor above.

RiverLodge

Reaction score
Thanks for your response, Cacher-. Photo #2 shows the 3" vent just above the shower sub-floor where I tied in the washer drain and vent. The 3" vent continues straight up through roof.

So the washer is draining into the 3" vent above my proposed shower trap. Looks good to this Master Electrician, how about you?

The center vanity has been vented above ceiling and ties into the 3" vent prior to roof penetration.

Again, thanks in advance for your professional responses to this post.

RiverLodge

RiverLodge

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, Terry.

Option #2 if correct? - Run the 2" shower drain to the vanity 2" drain line (vanity drain stubbed down center photo#3). The vanity is dry vented, connected above ceiling to the 3" stack vent then penetrating through roof.

I am intrigued by this science of "Wet Venting" and thinking it is possible for this shower drain to comply.

Again, thanks in advance for any professional response to this post.

Looks like Seahawks beat up on my Lions today! Happy to be here in Montana.

RiverLodge

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Option 2 works. A lav can get by with a 1.25" drain line. By increasing to 2" it allows space for water to drain and still room for venting the shower below. It's wet, because the lav drains into the venting. It also allows snaking of that portion of the vent because of the plumbing above.

A washer isn't allowed because it's a pumped fixture. Likewise, a toilet can't wet vent a lav or shower, but the shower or lav can wet vent the toilet.

RiverLodge

Reaction score
OK Thanks. Just to confirm with this 3/4 bath schematic and knowing that the washer is upstream of the bathroom group.

Again, thanks in advance for your reply.

RiverLodge

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 158
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks