venting second floor bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

kevinrx1

Reaction score
Hi everone:

Is it permissible to use a sanitary tee on it's back on a horizontal drain if it is solely for a dry vent only ( no waste ). The horizontal drain is on the second floor starting with the toilet, dry vent, then 2 fixtures downstream on wyes then down to basement (septic).

I would prefer the wye for the vent as well but it is a 3" stack and there is no room for the wye or combo even when rolling it. The stack continues to the roof. The sanitary tee is the red arrow in the pic.

If it is permissible does anyone know the UPC code to reference to?

Any advice appeciated...

Attachments

• bath2.jpg
    bath2.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 584

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I am not familiar with your code, but where I am the sanitary tee on it's back is strictly prohibited. So is the flat drain on the tub and the un-vented sink

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Your sink is unvented and IS an "S" trap. The tub has a flat vent. If you have room for a "T", you should have room for a "combo", and WHY would you even consider "rolling" it? The whole concept has to go back to the drawing board or contact a plumber who knows how to do it correctly and can do it that way. Not every task is a good DIY project.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just for future reference. A sanitary tee can be used in the horizontal position if the run (vertical) does not receive waste. However as HJ said, nothing there is correct. seek professional services

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A sanitary tee can be used in the horizontal position if the run (vertical) does not receive waste.

That "used" to be the case with UPC Code. But then they realized that when things are "wet vented", that often later work used that vent as a "wet" vent. Unless you open the floor up and look, who would know whether there was a wye or santee fitting?
Again, the UPC wins!

kevinrx1

Reaction score
i did vent the sink to the stack so it would be dry with no waste or water - just forgot to draw it in. Below is the corrected pic. The shower trap was right at 8 feet and another plumber told me to vent it stating it would drain too slow. The only option I had was the outside wall so I tried to run a circuit type vent. So, I'm looking for suggestions as to what could/should be done?bath2.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The shower drain must be routed so that it can be vented vertically downstream from the trap. The alternative would be to wet vent it through the lavatory, but by your drawing it appears that the trap would be too far from it's vent. Without seeing the layout, the joist direction and position, and the true the distances, we can only speculate.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks