Venting Outside Door to Propane Water Heater "Shed"

Users who are viewing this thread

LarryLeveen

Reaction score
Firstly, apologies if this isn't the ideal forum to post this in. Feel free to redirect me to another forum.

There is a rental cottage on our property that has an "external shed" attached to it. Does the door (removed in this photo because I need to strip and repaint it) need to have a vent installed in it? Alternately, since the door has "raised panels" (i.e. it is not a simple slab door) and retrofitting a vent might be difficult, could venting be installed in the siding of the shed itself, leaving the door as is?

Thanks and again, sorry if this isn't the right forum to post this question in.

Attachments

• IMG_6819.jpg
    IMG_6819.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 3,067
  • IMG_6820.jpg
    IMG_6820.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 4,516
  • IMG_6821.jpg
    IMG_6821.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 1,305

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Any small room that houses a water heater needs ventilation to disperse gas vapors. Those are located at the top and the bottom so that there is air movement to disperse. It's also needed for combustion air. Then there is the chimney that needs to be installed for the exhaust. That should daylight above the height of the window. Often new water heaters will come with in instruction book for installing it.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"could venting be installed in the siding of the shed itself, leaving the door as is?"

One vent on each side - one low and one high. You can find standard vents at HD, etc.
In my town: WH vent thru the shed roof, up on the side of the house, 12"-16" over the house roof with a cap, must be secured to the siding (2 straps will do).
Note: WH can't touch the house and must have earthquake straps (Straps usually come with metal spacers to go between the WH and the house).

P.S: Very attractive shed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks