Venting options for toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Jason64

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm building a new house and have decided to tackle the plumbing myself. I think I have an acceptable job done with all my waste and vent lines; however am questioning one of my toilet vents. The sketch below demonstrated what I currently have done (top) and what I now feel may be a better option (bottom). Any advice on whether I have to go through the trouble to change it would be greatly appreciated! I personally feel that the current option will be fine, but it's been recommended to me by a friend (also not a plumber) that I need a cleanout there. In either case, the vent ties into a 3' main vent stack, located approximately 10 feet away.

The pic actually looks like a sanitary tee, however it (both cases) is a wye and 45.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Toilet Vent.pdf
    42.6 KB · Views: 361

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Because of the horizontal section between the toilet and vent riser, NEITHER of them is "correct'. However, they are BOTH exactly the same, or will be when you use a "Y" instead of a 45 on the top one with the cleanout into the end of it.

Jason64

Reaction score
So I should install the cleanout as per the bottom pic? After the toilet goes into the main stack is just about 18 inches, so there was little room for a vent anywhere else except in the back (that being said the actual vent stack is aprox 12-12 feet away). The Horizontal run is 1/4 inch/foot. Where I live (rural) there are no inspectors...I'm just wondering if it will work.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
"will it work", and "is it proper" are two completely different issues. Many things "will work" even if they are NOT "legal" or "proper". Yours will both work, even though they are marginally proper.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks