Venting options for bathroom remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark1400

Reaction score
I am doing a bathroom remodel on a second floor and will be moving the toilet and sink locations. I will be able to access the floor joists from the first floor to run new drain pipe, then run it down to the basement through a closet. But I don't see how I can connect to existing vent stack. The layout of my plumbing will be similar to this picture. My question is can I use an AAV in the sink cabinet instead of connecting to the vent stack?
Slide1.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
If your local code allows AAV, then Yes, that configuration would be a Vertical wet vent. If you tied in the sink to the 3 horizontally it would be a Horizontal wet vent. Both would be fine. The AAV would be located above the san tee at the sink a minimum of 4" above the trap. It needs to be accessible because it is a mechanical device that requires maintenance and replacement. It also requires free access to air in order to function properly.

Mark1400

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. If I have dual sinks, each going into the 3" line separately (the vanity layout may prevent a combined single drain into the 3" line), then I assume will still just need one AAV?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Unless the sinks are connected at the same level, as with a fixture cross, they will need their own venting (AAV) which gets plumbed at least 4" higher than the trap arm, accessible for replacement and for air intake.

Mark1400

Reaction score
If your local code allows AAV, then Yes, that configuration would be a Vertical wet vent. If you tied in the sink to the 3 horizontally it would be a Horizontal wet vent. Both would be fine. The AAV would be located above the san tee at the sink a minimum of 4" above the trap. It needs to be accessible because it is a mechanical device that requires maintenance and replacement. It also requires free access to air in order to function properly.
A follow-up question on this. In this configuration, does the angle that the
Thanks Terry!
One more question on this (doing more research to better understand wet vs dry vents!) I came across this diagram in an article, and want to confirm that in my scenario, I should have the sink drain enter into the main horizontal drain as shown for the wet vent, i.e. it would come in horizontally (from side) vs from top?
wet  vent.jpeg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Correct. for a horizontal wet vented system the fixtures come into the side horizontally.

I can't corraborate this in code, but I had one inspector say also that horizontal for the pursopose of wet venting is min and max 1/4"per foot. That maybe debatable in other jurisdictions, but that is how we run ours.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks