Venting kitchen sink in window wall

Users who are viewing this thread

wabba

Reaction score
Helping some friends with a kitchen remodel. Sink is moving to a first floor exterior wall centered under an 8' window. If I snake over to the side of the window and head up the outside wall with a vent, assuming I can get past the rim boards (and it's only 2x4 framing), it then runs into the middle of a second floor window.

The good news is the new sink location has a 6' high crawlspace, and the main 4in drain line runs directly underneath it right on the crawlspace floor - so I have a ton of working room.

Couple options I was thinking of and not sure if either is allowed or not - run an island loop scenario (does this need to be in cabinet, or can it be buried in-wall with cleanout accessible?) and could run a vent line across the crawlspace to tie into vent stack which is probably 20 feet away.
island_sink_bert_polk.jpg

Second option is an AAV, but not clear if it needs to be above the flood line or just the drain line:
kitchen-vent-drain.jpg
SCP_215_06.jpg

Options? I like the idea of the island/bow loop scenario because there is no AAV involved, but not sure how acceptable that technically is. Unincorporated pierce county, WA state.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can use an AAV in Washington. Many of the new homes are using them on kitchen sinks.
The picture above on the left? Someone should have either removed the vent through the roof, or wyed it into the drain. Rainfall will be getting that wall wet.

wabba

Reaction score
You can use an AAV in Washington. Many of the new homes are using them on kitchen sinks.
The picture above on the left? Someone should have either removed the vent through the roof, or wyed it into the drain. Rainfall will be getting that wall wet.

That LH photo was in-progress off another site before they removed the old vent and fixed the framing. Sounds like a vote of confidence in the AAV; does it need to be (or preferred to be) above the flood line of the fixture if configured like the LH photo (does that qualify as a stack vent) or just the trap arm (as in RH photo). Would one method be preferred over the other?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks