Venting In-wall water closet: stacked bathrooms

Users who are viewing this thread

B_Neiles

Reaction score
Hello all,

Currently remodeling and replacing all plumbing (failing) in a 1945 ranch home in South Dakota (UPC). Bathrooms are stacked on top of each other, and will have the exact same layout almost to the inch. We chose an in-wall toilet for the upstairs to meet clearances code.

My question is what is considered the trap-arm for an in-wall toilet? I have attached two models, one with dry vents. The other with wet vents. But, I'm pretty sure I have broken the rules concerning the upstairs toilet trap arm by running the upstairs lavatory waste through it. This option, though, would give me more options for plumbing the downstairs and ultimately save some elevation below the poured concrete floor.

Showers, kitchen and utility room are all serviced by another vent through the roof on the opposite wall.

If you catch anything else, I would love to know.

Attachments

• Option 1_wet venting.jpg
    Option 1_wet venting.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 193
  • Option 2_dry vents.jpg
    Option 2_dry vents.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 189

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Option 1 is fine, the upper WC is being wet vented by the upper lav, just like in the lower bathroom. If you don't need the full 3" vent through the roof to comply with the aggregate vent area rule, you could delete the upper story 3" vertical segment--it's not part of the vent path of any fixture.

Cheers, Wayne

B_Neiles

Reaction score
Option 1 is fine, the upper WC is being wet vented by the upper lav, just like in the lower bathroom. If you don't need the full 3" vent through the roof to comply with the aggregate vent area rule, you could delete the upper story 3" vertical segment--it's not part of the vent path of any fixture.

Cheers, Wayne

Thanks for the quick reply!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks