venting and other questions..

Users who are viewing this thread

OldHouse

Reaction score
Hello, have read quite a bit on this forum, but have a couple questions...
Not sure if this should go here or remodelling section, but...
I tore out a bathroom addition that a previous owner had installed. It was awful on many, many levels. They did add a new 3" line to the basement that also continued up to the roof for vent. BUT, none of the fixtures (shower, toilet, and vanity) had vents of there own tied to it. Now, I am installing new laudry area (sink and washer) as well as a master bath. I will try and describe the setup for you. I'll try and do a drawing too at some point, but I'm not much of and artist.
New 3" pipe vertical from basment to roof, ty at bottom of floor level for 3" drain running to the rooms. First branch is y to 2" for washer and sink both will have wyes to 1.5" vent (has to be AAV ok in my area). Then, the 3" makes a left turn (not el of course) and second branch comes off. This is also a y to 2". This 2" goes to shower, tub and lav; each with own vent <more on this in a second> (though the lav is an AAV). Going back to the 3" again, it heads to the toilet flange, but wyes off for a 3" vent of its own. This will go up through the attic and out the roof. The 1.5" vents from the other fixtures will tie into this above 42".
All sounds good I believe. Anyway, I just realized that I might be interested in building a bath in the 3rd floor attic area (its huge). I know I can't just dump a new bath into this 3" inch that I run up through the roof. Where would I tie into all of this to do that? I'll just bring it up into the attic and cap it until the new bath.

Also, one last question. How long is a minimum for a stub to keep a p-trap from still being an s-trap.

Thanks, any extra info needed, let me know.
oldhouse

Last edited:

OldHouse

Reaction score
Here's a drawing...

plumbing.bmp

It is looking down from above on the two rooms. The unlabeled large circle on the left is the drain to the basement that also extends to the roof.

I hope this helps. Thanks,

oldhouse

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

An "S" trap can be created by a piece 3" long, if it is installed improperly. Otherwise the theoretical length in feet is limited by the inside diameter of the pipe multiplied by four, but the "legal" limit is usually less than that to provide for variances in installations.

OldHouse

Reaction score
Thanks HJ, otherwise the venting plan is fine, right?
How aabout planning to tie into a bathroom one floor up. where/how should I tie in the drain line? I have plenty of room to run another 3" pipe down from the attic, but can only easily get it just below the second floor, but not further to the basement.
Oh another question for everyone. This new master bath is as far from the gas water heater as possible. What or How should I go about making sure I have hot water relatively quickly (doesn't have to be instant).
Thanks,
oldhouse

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks