Venting an up flush system

Users who are viewing this thread

Greg Pizzola

Reaction score
Hi All,

As part of a partial basement remodel we are adding a 3/4 bath. Just received a quote from my plumber for $2500 to rough in the plumbing under the slab.

Considering I could probably save $1500 if I installed an up flush system myself, I'm digging through the threads doing my research.

My plan is to tie in a Wye to the main for the discharge pipe. For venting, I am unable to run a vent to the roof. However, on the opposite side of the basement there is a vent that serves the 1st floor kitchen only.

My question is... Can I just bring the upflush vent straight up, across the room between the floor joists and tie in to the 1st floor kitchen vent above the drainage?

Attached a pic of the main I will tie in a wye and the drain on the other side.

Thanks for any input!

Greg

Attachments

• 20160219_011151.jpg
    20160219_011151.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 248
  • 20160219_011115.jpg
    20160219_011115.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 232

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The new vent can tie into the kitchen vent, no less than 42" above the floor. More often than not there is less demo involved to just run it through the roof at a different location, or to run it into the attic and tie it in to the existing stack there.

Greg Pizzola

Reaction score
The new vent can tie into the kitchen vent, no less than 42" above the floor. More often than not there is less demo involved to just run it through the roof at a different location, or to run it into the attic and tie it in to the existing stack there.
Thanks for the tips! Working with an unfinished basement I don't have demo to worry about so running it over to the kitchen side seems like a good option.

Greg Pizzola

Reaction score
Just to clarify, that is 42" above the kitchen floor.
That changes things a great deal. What's the reasoning behind venting 42" above the 1st floor? I would think (with no plumbing experience which is why I'm here) as long as the upflush vent is above the kitchen drain that ties into the vent going thru the roof the system would function properly. Why does code require the extra length?

Greg Pizzola

Reaction score
The pic I attached here is looking up from the main stack in the original post. It actually runs behind a decorative fireplace on the first floor and then through a second floor closet (second pic) to the roof.

If I run a new vent up alongside the main stack and then tie it in 42" above the closet floor, will this be sufficient to vent a 3/4 bath and utility sink in the basement? What size PVC would be required for this vent?

Thanks much for the help!

Attachments

• 20160219_200041.jpg
    20160219_200041.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 196
  • 20160219_201606.jpg
    20160219_201606.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 251

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The vent is the dry piping that rises above the kitchen sink's trap. Anything below the level of the trap is not a vent, it is a drain.

Tying any vents together must be done at least 6" above the flood rim of the kitchen sink, or any other other fixture served by the vent, which in standard construction puts it at 42" above the floor.

The size of the vent required will depend on what system you are installing. Most require a 2" vent. Each fixture trap and the pumped basin need to be vented.

Attachments

• pCHOx-01.jpeg
    pCHOx-01.jpeg
    16.5 KB · Views: 208
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks