Venting advice needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Brewster

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I would appreciate any help you can offer my way. The first photo shows how this bath was
originally plumbed. We have a sewage treatment plant and I could hear bubbling coming up through the
shower drain as well as some gassy smells. The second photo shows the modification next to the vanity drain.
I basically closed off the connection between the two horizontal 2" pipes. No more smells or bubbling sound,
but occasional gurgling sound coming from the vanity sink opening as well as the shower drain. The third photo shows the p-trap and venting of the shower drain. Would an AAV under the vanity sink help with this,
or what would be the way to go. Again, thanks for any help.

Attachments

• Bathroom plumbing original.jpg
    Bathroom plumbing original.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 172
  • Bathroom plumbing altered and presently.jpg
    Bathroom plumbing altered and presently.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 171
  • Bathroom plumbing shower detail.jpg
    Bathroom plumbing shower detail.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 167

Reach4

Reaction score
We have a sewage treatment plant and I could hear bubbling coming up through the
shower drain as well as some gassy smells.
Before addressing your plumbing, how long since your septic system was pumped?

Your bubbling etc may have been a useful early warning that could get you to save thousands of dollars.

Brewster

Reaction score
Before addressing your plumbing, how long since your septic system was pumped?

Your bubbling etc may have been a useful early warning that could get you to save thousands of dollars.

It was pumped out 2 months ago, so I don't think that's the issue. Water drains out of the toilet, sink and shower very quickly, only problem
seems to be the gurgling sound.

Reach4

Reaction score
It was pumped out 2 months ago, so I don't think that's the issue.
Good.
I could hear bubbling coming up through the
shower drain as well as some gassy smells.
The vent for a shower needs to be on the output of the trap -- not the same side as the shower drain. The trap should probably feed over to the wall to the vent, and then the drainage would proceed elsewhere. I think most people use the vented lavatory (bathroom sink) drain to wet vent the shower.

I am not saying everything else in the pictures is OK. I just did not notice anything clearly wrong.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Basicaly everything is plumbed wrong but the worst is the shower underground work. If you look at something showes how a shower is plumbed copy that.. And while the walls are open make sure the vent for toilet is 6 inches above counter top height of lav. Then where the 2 inch vent ties into stack put the santee on correctly and youll be good to go. Sorry to bring bad news but thats how it is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks