Venting a tub

Users who are viewing this thread

Dustbunny

Reaction score
I've been trying to figure this out for more than a year. The W/D and tub are on one long wall of the bath. I have finally figured out the other side of the room which is over the main drain line.
The joists are 2x10" so can't really drill holes because the slope would take me out of the allowed zone by the time I got the 7.5 feet to the main drain pipe. I will need to sheetrock the ceiling to meet fire codes in the garage so will need to box in pipes.

IPC
Is what I drew at all functional ? Or will I just have to skip the tub ? ( Shower on other side of room. Other bath has tub)

I do have a vertical vent near the tub but there's a rule against horizontal vents that low.

Thanks for any help

Attachments

• plan.jpeg
    plan.jpeg
    56.5 KB · Views: 86

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
No go, two issues: a washer can't wet vent a tub. And if it could, the tub trap arm can fall at most one pipe diameter, you can't have that jog downward at the end of the trap arm before it hits the horizontal drain. [The latter issue could be resolved by just drilling one or two joists and dropping the line below the joists only after the two drains combine.]

So unless you can do something similar with a lavatory replacing the washer drain, wet venting is out. Is the tub not next to a wall that can serve to contain the riser for a dry vent?

Cheers, Wayne

Dustbunny

Reaction score
Thanks, Wayne. I suspected that.
Yes, it's next to a wall and an outside wall. I have a vertical dry vent ( 1.5") right there in the interior wall but it would need to go about 20" horizontal under the floor (thru a joist) to reach the drain line.

I thought about sending the drain line thru the joist ( away from where it needs to be going) to hit the vent but it's too close to the end of the joist and then it could go over to the washer line.
I would still need a 45 or something to get to the drain line from the vent.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
That description isn't clear enough quickly enough. So if you want to discuss layout, please provide a dimensioned floor plan showing fixture layout, walls suitable for venting, and joist location/direction.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks