Venting a toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

grover

Reaction score
I am installing a half bath and am trying to figure out if my venting plan is a good one. I was planning on venting my toilet by using a side inlet elbow directly below my toilet. The waste drain line is 3" and the side inlet elbow is 2". I thought this would work until I got a code book from the library and it says in there "no flat dry vents." The diagram it shows the vent fitting must be angled at least 45 degrees up from horizontal. The side inlet on my elbow is horizontal.

Can I use the side inlet elbow to vent the toilet or not? The code #'s listed are, IRC 3104.3 and UPC 905.2. I'm confused.

Thanks,
Mitch

Last edited:

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
Good question. So good that I don't know the answer. I know the fitting you're talking about and I believe that side inlet is intended for a vent (pretty sure you can't put a drain from another fixture in there), however I also see you're point about going up on a 45 degree angle so no water goes in the vent line.

I'll wait with you for the answer. :)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't know what fitting you are talking about.

If you have a fitting on the horizontal, it would be a wye or combo fitting.
If it's on the vertical, it would be a santee.

You can't lay a low heel santee on it's back for a toilet vent.

If you want to pull a vent off on the horizontal, it would be a 3x2 wye fitting, rolled up so that the vent would be above the flow line of the waste line.

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
It's the fitting that is a 90 degree elbow with a straight outlet coming out of the side. Terry, you definitely know what it is just don't know the name. I think the word heel is in the name.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If it's a low-heel, it needs to have the vent at the top of the fitting.

lo-heel-inlet-332.jpg

Attachments

• abs_lo_heel_tee.gif
    abs_lo_heel_tee.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 57,872
Last edited:

grover

Reaction score
So this will not work because of the "no flat dry vents" rule I quoted In my first post? So does that mean the vent can be the next fitting down the drain line and be a 3 x2 reducing y or sanitary tee and have to be angled upward 45 degrees from the 3 inch drain?
My trouble with angling the y up at 45 is I'm trying to stay between the 2 x 10 floor joists with the drain line and the vent line is running through the center of the 2 x 10's.

I think I'm lost.:confused:

What would that fitting be used for?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
So this will not work because of the "no flat dry vents" rule I quoted In my first post? So does that mean the vent can be the next fitting down the drain line and be a 3 x2 reducing y or sanitary tee and have to be angled upward 45 degrees from the 3 inch drain?
My trouble with angling the y up at 45 is I'm trying to stay between the 2 x 10 floor joists with the drain line and the vent line is running through the center of the 2 x 10's.

I think I'm lost.:confused:

What would that fitting be used for?

That fitting would be used to bring a branch drain in. You just cannot use a santee on the horizontal, or even rolled 45. It must be a wye + 45.

I will quote a much better plumber than I who has said " There is ALWAYS a way to vent a fixture. Not always an EASY way."

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
fitting

If the inspector would allow the short turn 90, then that fitting would be used horizontally with the 2" facing upwards for the vent. If we were there to see the exact situation, we might come up with more than one possibility to do it correctly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks