Venting a small closed gravity feed system

Users who are viewing this thread

T-Bone

Reaction score
Hi,

I am making a small closed gravity feed system to supply a utility sink.
I have a 55 gallon plastic drum with 2 bung closures.
The plan is to mount the tank on its side. The lower bung will have a spigot that runs the supply line to the sink. The upper bung will have a length of garden hose running down with a quick connect fitting. I will use this to refill the tank from a garden hose. This will allow me to fill the tank without having to get out a ladder as the tank will be 6ft or so above the ground.
I know that I need some sort of air inlet to let air out of the tank as it fills and into the tank as it drains.
I want something that will not allows insects into the tank. I found micromembrane vents that can be inserted in the 3/4 knock out on a drum bung. I am wondering if I could use one of these in a 3/4 hole on the side of the tank that faces up?
what other options would you suggest ?
Thanks for your help!

T-Bone

Reaction score
If I were to use a pipe with a mesh screen wouldn't that also serve as an overflow ?
This water is not for drinking.
I doubt that it will ever have more than 30 or so gallons in it at any time.
It will be easy to fill as needed and the usage will be minimal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks