Venting a new kitchen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Bumbernotaplumber

Reaction score
Hi there
I come to this forum pretty regularly so its fun to be posting for once.

I'm putting a kitchen in my basement and I'm not really sure if the kitchen sink will need its own vent or not.
I had a graphic designer draw up this really fancy plan. From left to right the traps are: Laundry, proposed new kitchen sink, existing kitchen sink. The basement is all unfinished but the groundfloor is all finished, if there's a way I can do this without disturbing the ground floor that would be great!
I thought maybe the stack on top of the laundry would count but I tried to figure it out in the code and saw a line saying something about being above the flood level of the highest fixture so maybe not.

Thanks!

plumbing.png

Bumbernotaplumber

Reaction score
There was another question hidden in there too, is there a way to vent this without disturbing walls upstairs? or no because I would have to get to a point higher than the floodlevel of the other two fixtures?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
There was another question hidden in there too, is there a way to vent this without disturbing walls upstairs? or no because I would have to get to a point higher than the floodlevel of the other two fixtures?
Perhaps an AAV though legal in a lot of places I think is not legal in UPC though I'm not sure It was illegal for many years and people used them any way I don't know if even today they are always legal in UPC

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In Washington State, a sink on an island can use an AAV for venting.
Venting is always best with atmospheric venting, but sometimes it's hard to make that happen.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
that's good to know is that Washington or UPC that allows island venting to be done that way? or just an inspector say says go ahead? We had some that allowed AAV at an outdoor BBQ sink 20 years ago but it wasn't legal if inspector said no

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
that's good to know is that Washington or UPC that allows island venting to be done that way? or just an inspector say says go ahead? We had some that allowed AAV at an outdoor BBQ sink 20 years ago but it wasn't legal if inspector said no
Yes, so often at the inspectors discretion

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The upc does not allow aav's. Some places that have adopted the upc change sections to allow for aav's in some situations.

Bumbernotaplumber

Reaction score
thanks everyone! I think I'm going to just stub a capped stick of 1 1/2" up into the ground floor wall and force myself to deal with it later.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks