Venting a lavatory

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Bpatterson, Sep 18, 2021.

1. Bpatterson

Bpatterson New Member

Hello new to the forum, I have ran into a problem on a remodel, I need to vent a wall hung sink that’s on a exterior wall that meets the garage, I can’t run the vent up due to a truss sitting right on the wall plate, would it be ok to run the vent up higher than the sink then back down in the crawl space and tie into the vent for the shower any help would be appreciated, thank Brad.

2. James Henry

James Henry In the Trades

Plumber
    Don't know what your talking about. Sketch a layout.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Indiana uses IPC 2006.

You can use an AAV.

They make boxes with little vent grilles to hold an AAV in a wall, and make it accessible for replacement.

AAV could go inside the vanity cabinet. It must be 4 or more inches above the trap arm.

5. John Gayewski

John Gayewski In the Trades

He's talking about an island vent. Yes it's ok. It needs to slope to drain and have cleanouts.

6. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Good point. That works, but it is more effort than an AAV. Tying into the shower vent would have to be 6 inches higher than the flood level of the lavatory. I suspect that would be difficult.

7. Bpatterson

Bpatterson New Member

I’m talking about a wall hung sink I can’t run the vent line in the attic, there is no where to get the vent line up the wall and I don’t want to use an aav does anyone have any suggestions how to vent it I don’t want to use an aav box either,

Thanks Brad