Venting a basement rough in

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm planning the basement bathroom in my new house. The basement was already roughed in when I purchased. Here's a picture before they poured the concrete:

giants-fan-01.jpg

From left to right: vanity, wc, shower, ejector pump(not shown) Where do I put the vent? I have a guess but would like to hear your input.

Thanks,

Peter

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
That is roughed in for the lav to wet vent the WC and the shower. So you need a 1-1/2" atmospheric vent (which would hopefully be roughed in the ceiling, with a cap and label) or an AAV at the lav. That takes care of the three fixtures shown.

The ejector pump needs an atmospheric vent, not an AAV, so hopefully that has been roughed in for you in the ceiling. In which case the lav could share that atmospheric vent, as far as I know.

Cheers, Wayne

Reaction score
That is roughed in for the lav to wet vent the WC and the shower. So you need a 1-1/2" atmospheric vent (which would hopefully be roughed in the ceiling, with a cap and label) or an AAV at the lav. That takes care of the three fixtures shown.

The ejector pump needs an atmospheric vent, not an AAV, so hopefully that has been roughed in for you in the ceiling. In which case the lav could share that atmospheric vent, as far as I know.

Cheers, Wayne
Thanks for the response. Yes, there is an atmospheric vent in the ceiling over by the ejector. I wasn't 100% sure about the wet venting but you've confirmed what I thought.

Thanks, again.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
AAVs are NOT allowed in NYC you had better check your local code

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I'm not using an AAV for this. Thanks for the feedback.

It takes a certain mentality to install a piece of plastic and rubber seal to prevent flammable and carcinogenic fumes from entering a structure.

Imagine if a bug gets trapped in the rubber or the rubber cracks there goes the "protection"

I am fortunate to have had an account that owned a building built in 1865 the existing cast iron is still in good condition and the venting is all original

I am curious how for over a century plumbers were able to vent all the fixtures regardless of location and did not rely on cheater vents

Basic Principles

Principle No. 1: All premises intended for human habitation, occupancy or use shall be provided with a supply of pure and wholesome water, neither connected with unsafe water supplies nor subject to the hazards of backflow or back siphonage.

Principle No. 2: Plumbing fixtures, devices, and appurtenances shall be supplied with water in sufficient volume and at pressures adequate to enable them to function satisfactorily and without undue noise under all normal conditions of use.

Principle No. 3: Plumbing shall be designed and adjusted to use the minimum quantity of water consistent with proper performance and cleaning.

Principle No. 4: Devices for heating and storing water shall be so designed and installed as to prevent dangers from explosion through overheating.

Principle No. 5: Every building having plumbing fixtures installed and intended for human habitation, occupancy, or use on premises abutting on a street, alley or easement in which there is a public sewer shall have a connection with the sewer.

Principle No. 6: Each family dwelling unit on premises abutting on a sewer or with a private sewage-disposal system shall have, at least, one water closet and one kitchen-type sink. It is further recommended that a lavatory and bathtub or shower shall be installed to meet the basic requirements of sanction and personal hygiene.

All other structures for human occupancy or use on premises abutting on a sewer or with a private sewage-disposal system shall have adequate sanitary facilities but in no case less than one water closet and one other fixture for cleaning purposes.

Principle No. 7: Plumbing fixtures shall be made of smooth nonabsorbent material, shall be free from concealed fouling surfaces, and shall be located in ventilated enclosures.

Principle No. 8: The drainage system shall be designed, constructed and maintained so as to guard against fouling, deposit of solids and clogging, and with adequate cleanouts so arranged that the pipes may be readily cleaned.

Principle No. 9: The piping of the plumbing system shall be of durable material, free from defective workmanship, and so designed and constructed as to give satisfactory service for its reasonable expected life.

Principle No. 10: Each fixture directly connected to the drainage system shall be equipped with a water-seal trap.

Principle No. 11: The drainage system shall be designed to provide an adequate circulation of air in all pipes with no danger of siphonage, aspiration or forcing of trap seals under conditions of ordinary use.

Principle No. 12: Each vent terminal shall extend to the outer air and be so installed as to minimize the possibilities of clogging and the return of foul air to the building.

Principle No. 13: The plumbing system shall be subjected to such tests as will effectively disclose all leaks and defects in the work.

Principle No. 14: No substance which will clog the pipes, produce explosive mixtures, destroy the pipes or their joints, or interfere unduly with the sewage-disposal process shall be allowed to enter the building drainage system.

Principle No. 15: Proper protection shall be provided to prevent contamination of food, water, sterile goods and similar materials by backflow of sewage. When necessary, the fixture, device or appliance shall be connected indirectly with the building drainage system.

Principle No. 16: No water closet shall be located in a room or compartment which is not properly lighted and ventilated.

Principle No. 17: If water closets or other plumbing fixtures are installed in buildings where there is no sewer within a reasonable distance, suitable provision shall be made for disposing of the building sewage by some accepted method of sewage treatment and disposal.

Principle No. 18: Where a plumbing drainage system may be subjected to backflow of sewage, suitable provision shall be made to prevent its overflow in the building.

Principle No. 19: Plumbing systems shall be maintained in a sanitary and serviceable condition.

Principle No. 20: All plumbing fixtures shall be so installed with regard to spacing as to be reasonably accessible for their intended use.

Principle No. 21: Plumbing shall be installed with due regard to preservation of the strength of structural members and prevention of damage to walls and other surfaces through fixture usage.

Principle No. 22: Sewage or other waste from a plumbing system which may be deleterious to surface or subsurface waters shall not be discharged into the ground or into any waterway unless it has first been rendered innocuous through subjection to some acceptable form of treatment.

These basic principles provided engineering guidelines regarding the intent of the plumbing code.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks