Vented tankless water heater vents straight up though roof on front of house

Users who are viewing this thread

JWplumbing

Reaction score
I went over the tankless location and venting
with the home owner and he said he wanted/ was fine with it. I also wanted to clarify with the wife before I pipe this is and she said she was fine with it. So I vented two 2” pipes to on the side of the front of the house. They are paint black and they are the only two pipes on roof. Now I just feel kind of bad about it. I don’t know… there’s really no changing it now. It would of taken several more hours to take them to the back side of house but now I wish I would have. How bad did I mess up?

JWplumbing

Reaction score
I went over the tankless location and venting
with the home owner and he said he wanted/ was fine with it. I also wanted to clarify with the wife before I pipe this is and she said she was fine with it. So I vented two 2” pipes to on the side of the front of the house. They are paint black and they are the only two pipes on roof. Now I just feel kind of bad about it. I don’t know… there’s really no changing it now. It would of taken several more hours to take them to the back side of house but now I wish I would have. How bad did I mess up?
This is a new build

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm used to seeing black pipes on roofs. We mainly used ABS in the Seattle area. I think you did fine. Better to have a shorter route for the venting I think.
I sometimes mention to homeowners that homes have venting through the roof, you know, those pipes?
They are always surprised to know that. I guess they never look up.

JWplumbing

Reaction score
I'm used to seeing black pipes on roofs. We mainly used ABS in the Seattle area. I think you did fine. Better to have a shorter route for the venting I think.
I sometimes mention to homeowners that homes have venting through the roof, you know, those pipes?
They are always surprised to know that. I guess they never look up.
That makes me feel better.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Don't forget, that you can use the very slim sidewall options available.
I am a fan of these (I think Diversitech is the mfr.)
1668108141406.png
1668108256504.png
1668108151631.png

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
It totally depends on the overall aethetics of the house and the neighborhood and their pocket book. I have some properties where we would go to extreme lengths to run all of the vents to the back of the house so that they're not visible from the street.. people who hide their trash cans so their neighbors don't see that they have trash.. Some places there are already utilities visible from every direction and that sort of esthetic is not their priority.. almost anything goes.

For one client we even cut the vent pipe to match the pitch of the roof. As long as they're willing to pay for the time and effort.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Absolutely can either be totaly ok or be concidered hack . some places its totally taboo to run vents in front others it isnt a big deal at all. sorry if you discussed and they were ok then there is no issue. if you despise it vow never again

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks