Vent stack in attic space?

Users who are viewing this thread

Corine

Reaction score
We are in the middle of having an addition built between the main house and a "mother in law house"

The mother in law house has a plumbing vent stack that vented outside. With the addition and the new roof that had to tie in, that vent stack is now in the attic.

I am going to bring this up to my contractor, but I wanted to ask opinions as well so I can have as much information/knowledge about this situation and if it is something to be concerned over.

IMG_9378.JPG

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
It takes a certain mindset to want to allow carcinogenic fumes to enter a structure

I was doing a job in Manhattan and the screwball tileman buried all the cleanouts including the main sewer under a marble floor

Another job the roofing contractor placed the membrane over the newly installed roof drain flange .

When Sandy hit the roof caved in pouring thousands of gallons water inside the building

They be out there

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
They betting place the vent terminal at least 2 feet high and away from any windows or AC intake .

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would address it with the general contractor and make sure the vent is through the roof. You don't ever want a vent ending in an attic.
Other problems I regularly see is bath and kitchen fans not vented to the outside.

Corine

Reaction score
I would address it with the general contractor and make sure the vent is through the roof. You don't ever want a vent ending in an attic.
Other problems I regularly see is bath and kitchen fans not vented to the outside.

I have left a message with our contractor about the issue but have not heard back yet.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I have left a message with our contractor about the issue but have not heard back yet.

Tell the contractor your family is complaining about headaches and nausea , light headed feeling from the exposure from sewer gas

Sewer gas also contains methane, carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide, and nitrous oxides. In addition, chlorine bleaches, industrial solvents, and gasoline are frequently present in municipal and privately owned sewage treatment systems.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sewer+gases&gs_ivs=1

Corine

Reaction score
Tell the contractor your family is complaining about headaches and nausea , light headed feeling from the exposure from sewer gas

Sewer gas also contains methane, carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide, and nitrous oxides. In addition, chlorine bleaches, industrial solvents, and gasoline are frequently present in municipal and privately owned sewage treatment systems.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sewer+gases&gs_ivs=1

It is not finished. We don't have a ceiling or sheetrock yet. I am hopeful this will be an easy fix but just frustrating it wasn't caught.

Corine

Reaction score
He wrote back he is getting the plumber and the roofer to go over to the house.

This entire process has been so frustrating. Isn't this something that should have been caught before the roof was finished or is this just how construction goes?

Reach4

Reaction score
He wrote back he is getting the plumber and the roofer to go over to the house.

This entire process has been so frustrating. Isn't this something that should have been caught before the roof was finished or is this just how construction goes?
Both, I think.

Kinda makes you think that you might look to hire a house inspector to check things further.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks