Vent stack cracked PVC

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by jhwmonk, Aug 10, 2020.

1. jhwmonk

jhwmonk New Member

Can I just cut out the broken piece cut a little extra off the pipes and then install a new one? Is there anything I need to worry about the height of the pipe as it goes up and out of the roof?

IMG_20200808_133702.jpg

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    The International Plumbing Code (IPC), requires plumbing vent pipes
    to extend vertically at least 152 mm (6 in.) above a roof

You will need to cut the santee out and replace it. The vent on top needs to be at least six inches above the roof. Normally I see them quite a bit higher than that, so I'm guessing you have something to work with there.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Sylvan

Sylvan Still learning

plumbing - fire suppression - boiler inspector
    NYC old code (1968) Vent terminal 5 feet above the roof 7 feet is used for other then weather protection

New Code 2 feet above the roof which is crazy as we can get over 2 feet of snow up there

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I would worry about why that tape is there. I would open the wall more, and consider replacing more.

6. fitter30

fitter30 Active Member

Retired service tech
    Look at a pvc repair coupling or a no hub coupling for pvc might make the easyer. That fitting break looks like the pipe coming up was in a bind.

7. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I am thinking three of them, unless jhwmonk can do some precision measuring, cutting, and gluing.