Vent Spacing

Users who are viewing this thread

Thomas K

Reaction score
Hi! I am planning stackable washer/dryer install, with 41" aluminum sheet vent going from (1) 90 degree coupling on dryer pipe to Dryer Jack mounted on roof. One thing I didn't think about is there is a PVC plumbing vent exiting the roof about 1 1/2' from where I plan to install Dryer Jack (or have it installed.)

Is it okay by code for vents to be this close? I am tearing my hair out wondering whether I've run into a snag I won't be able to fix. If I can't, I'll have to come up with another plan.

Thanks for any replies!

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Dryer vents must have a flap damper to prevent backdraft.
Code only cares to have vents distanced by three feet if there is an air intake.
So, as long as you have the proper spring loaded backdraft dryer vent.
Roof vents designed for dryers are notoriously problematic for cleaning lint accumulation out of the dryer vent pipe over the years.

Thomas K

Reaction score
Dryer vents must have a flap damper to prevent backdraft.
Code only cares to have vents distanced by three feet if there is an air intake.
So, as long as you have the proper spring loaded backdraft dryer vent.
Roof vents designed for dryers are notoriously problematic for cleaning lint accumulation out of the dryer vent pipe over the years.

I'm going to use Dryer Jack in photo, made by InOvate products, because it's engineered for almost no airflow restriction and designed to be easy to clean.

Attachments

• Jack.jpg
    Jack.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 133

Thomas K

Reaction score
I don't know about this vent, but I have seen house wrens pick particular places to nest, like the back of your propane grill.

Thomas K

Reaction score
Washer/dryer will be behind wall marked with X. I will either have a 45" vent exiting at roof dryer jack, or I will have to cut a hole in the brick wall, approximate location marked in photo, and run a flexible aluminum duct down to floor at 45 degree angle. Dryer duct would be drilled through bottom of interior wall shown in photo. If a roof vent will suffice, please tell me, as I will be able to reach over top of dryer and AC-foil-tape aluminum Snap-lock pipe to vent. I have to make a decision on this, and I need to make the right one.

I am really needing advice on this one, guys, and will listen to your comments.

Thanks for any replies!

Attachments

• pic 1.JPG
    pic 1.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 134
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 142
  • pic 3.jpg
    pic 3.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 137
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks