Vent size and location?

Users who are viewing this thread

Journey7

Reaction score
Hi, I'm in the process of getting my sister's 2nd story bathroom in working order. From the pictures you can see what I started with; Lead pipes and no vents. I started by removing all the lead that was there. Then I put in a pvc closet bend with a 2 inch 45' inlet on the side and ran a 2 inch line over to the tub where I put a Y with a 1 1/2 outlet that goes to a P trap. About halfway between the closet bend for the toilet and the tub is a Y with a 1 1/2 outlet for the sink.

From what I've read, I think there should be a vent for each fixture, but I'm not sure of where and how big they should be. I was thinking about tying into the vent that comes up from the bathroom downstairs (which ties into the main stack above the toilet in the 2nd story bathroom), but I've read that that shouldn't be done? Also, I don't want to make another inlet into the main stack because it's cast and I'm not equipped to do that.

I've read through local / state codes, but since I'm not a plumber, It's hard for me to understand. I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

w7ocZo.jpg
ZP2vFj.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You CANNOT just "replicate" a lead drain system. They were installed long before the modern codes were written so they are "missing" a lot of stuff, like vents and proper drain connections. You need a plumber because you have absolutely no concept of what has to be done, starting with the toilet connection to the old piping.

Journey7

Reaction score
You're absolutely right about just replicating a lead drain system and I had no intention of doing that. However, I wouldn't say that I have no concept of what has to be done, I researched a lot to get to the point I'm at now. Here's a couple pics of what I've got so far. It's just layed out, nothing is welded yet. I've also taken into account the 1/4" per foot slope to the main stack.

Hf2say.jpg

AUKnBT.jpg

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
So you have an unvented tub trap and a clean out that's going to get buried in the ceiling? LOL. Whoops, let's not overlook that nest O elbows in front of the closet bend. Get out now before you waste anymore time and money.

Journey7

Reaction score
So you have an unvented tub trap and a clean out that's going to get buried in the ceiling? LOL. Whoops, let's not overlook that nest O elbows in front of the closet bend. Get out now before you waste anymore time and money.
The lack of vents is the reason I'm here. The cleanout was all I had to temporarly close it off so the bathroom wouldn't get stinky. :) As for the nest of elbows, the main stack is rotated to a weird angle and that was the best way I could compensate. How would you do it?

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Impossible to say without being on site to take measurements and see how things lie.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It looks to be a big improvement over what you had.
I like to use the Fernco donut for cast iron hubs too. I like to pick up about three different versions. I figure one of them will work.

Reach4

Reaction score
How would it be to use a fitting like this instead of adding in the shower and lav sewage downstream of the toilet?
4861-LH.jpg

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Possibly the most mis-applied fitting ever to come out of the plastic factory. Essentially, it's nothing more than a sanitary tee and as any plumber knows, sanitary tee's can't be used in the horizontal position to receive the discharge of fixtures.

Reach4

Reaction score
Possibly the most mis-applied fitting ever to come out of the plastic factory. Essentially, it's nothing more than a sanitary tee and as any plumber knows, sanitary tee's can't be used in the horizontal position to receive the discharge of fixtures.

Would some long-sweep version or some similar thing be allowed to take the sink and shower water in line and also collect the toilet water?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Whew. If we'd had that much lead back in 1863 we'd have won the war. I've run into a lot of old stuff, but this takes the cake. I can see the imprints from the wood lath plaster on the joists. Gives me the shaking shivers. Lot of nasty work there. You've got brass cojones for taking this on, and you've got my admiration. If that line that goes to the lavatory is properly vented through the roof, I think you can pull it off. You have good access to the waterlines right now, so you need to totally snatch them out and get rid of the steel piping, replace them with a post-pilgrim material of some sort. You've got good sense about things and you are not afraid to ask questions about stuff as needed. Better to over-do the rules than to cut it close and get it wrong.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
The water lines are galvanized, not lead. They should be replaced though because chance are they are pretty rusted by now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks