Vent questions

Users who are viewing this thread

geekette

Reaction score
I was sent here from the John Bridge forums for a little help. I obviously don't know anything about plumbing, so I hope this will make some sense...

We're redoing our master bath, including removing a tub and moving the toilet to essentially where the tub was. The plumber wants to remove a major vent that used to service the double vanity and toilet (which will now, I guess, tap into the old tub vent). He says there's a type of vent that's used now under the sinks (schrader?) so the sink drains don't have to tap into the vent that goes through the roof.

I could have this all wrong, but I'm hoping someone here will have a clue what I'm talking about. The vent could be moved into the wall with some difficulty, but I think he just wants to get rid of it.

The toilet's moving about 7-8' so he's having to tear up the floor and run the drain (properly sloped, I hope) to the existing drain. He also said he'd insulate the new drain so we don't have a lot of running water noise in the kitchen below.

Does this sound...okay?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Air Admittance Valves ( Studor is the brand ) are allowed by some but not all codes. Many plumbers are basically skeptical about using them because they are a mechanical device with moving parts and rubber seals, and by defintion will sooner or later fail. There is always an alternative to using these, but the alternative is not necessarily easy or inexpensive.

Last edited:
A

alhurley

optimized_head.jpg

Oatey also makes them

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks