Vent question for garage sink in a hurricane zone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Kern

Reaction score
The living space for my house is above my garage because I live in a coastal region / flood zone. Therefore, the garage is the complete footprint of my house. There are multiple 3" PVC waste pipes that come down through my garage and into the garage floor slab. What I'd like to do is put a laundry room type sink in the garage. So here are my questions:
1) I can tie into a 3" PVC line with a connector, but do I need a vent of some sort or will it vent up through the line since there is a bathroom above?
2) Do I need to put some type of valve in my sink in the event of a hurricane?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Attachments

• Garage Plumbing.jpg
    Garage Plumbing.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 152

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I just came across this post and surprised it wasn't answered. Have you resolved this issue? I'm not sure about venting but question 2 is something new to me but makes some sense. In hurricane country each state or counties have codes for hurricane hardness. Since you are in a coastal flood zone and the house is essential on stilts, you do not want flood water to enter the sewer system nor a domestic water line breaking. For hurricane preparedness I would close off the sink drain, not sure what you can fashion, and be able to turn off the water from above. If you have to evacuate you probably will be turning off the house water anyway.

Too close off the drain, use slip fittings for the p-trap including the trap arm. For a hurricane prep easily remove the trap and arm, place another 1.5" pipe with one end capped off and glued. The other end slip it in at he "wall" connection where the trap arm was.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks