Vent Question - 1901 Brick House, moving kitchen sink

Users who are viewing this thread

ms14

Reaction score
Hi. I've been reading my way through some posts on your forum and it looks like i've come to the right place! I'm currently remodeling my kitchen and moving the sink over to the other side of the room on an exterior brick wall under a window. I'm looking for ideas on how to run the vent.

I will be putting a new (shorter) window in where the sink will go. The main stack is off to the right. You can see where the old vent is.

1. The exterior wall is solid brick, so running it up there is out.
2. The old/existing vent is pretty far away (14' or so), so using that is probably out.
3. I could reroute the existing vent maybe startign midway up the wall... angle it over to the corner (i'd have to drill through all the studs) and if i got it to the corner I'd still be about 7' away.
4. I was originally thinking I'd just drill a hole in the brick and shoot it straight out under the window, but after reading on here I see that's not allowed.
5. If i run a loop vent, is 14' too far away for the vent?

Thanks a lot!

-Andy

Attachments

• vent_pic.jpg
    vent_pic.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,725

PlumberJeff

Mister Plumber
Reaction score
Hi. I've been reading my way through some posts on your forum and it looks like i've come to the right place! I'm currently remodeling my kitchen and moving the sink over to the other side of the room on an exterior brick wall under a window. I'm looking for ideas on how to run the vent.

I will be putting a new (shorter) window in where the sink will go. The main stack is off to the right. You can see where the old vent is.

1. The exterior wall is solid brick, so running it up there is out.
2. The old/existing vent is pretty far away (14' or so), so using that is probably out.
3. I could reroute the existing vent maybe startign midway up the wall... angle it over to the corner (i'd have to drill through all the studs) and if i got it to the corner I'd still be about 7' away.
4. I was originally thinking I'd just drill a hole in the brick and shoot it straight out under the window, but after reading on here I see that's not allowed.
5. If i run a loop vent, is 14' too far away for the vent?

Thanks a lot!

-Andy

Check and see if an AAV (air admittance valve, AKA mechanical vent) is legal in your area. If so, mount one as high as feasible in the kitchen sink cabinet, tie into the sink waste arm with a san tee, and then run your new 2" drain to the stack or tie back in to the old drain if it's 2". Don't forget to cap the old vent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks