Vent planning for basement renovation

Users who are viewing this thread

Bcarlson78248

Reaction score
I am renovating my basement now and would like to open up the floor and lay in new drain pipe for a future bath upstairs. I would also like to install a floor drain next to the boiler and water heater, since the emergency valves now just dump on the cement floor (no drain nearby).

If I lay in the drain pipe now for the new soil stack and floor drain before I build the addition, the stack will be just capped above the floor and ready for the future bath upstairs. However, that means the floor drain and (unused) stack also have no vent running to the roof.

My proposed diagram is provided, and as you can see there are no vents shown. What should I do to ensure this floor drain works now, but not create too much rework later on when I finally build the bath upstairs and have the soil stack connected to roof level? Do I just add a vent to the new floor drain pipe and run it up to the roof or to an air admittance valve? Also, once the soil stack is connected, does this provide adequate venting for the floor drain?

Thanks,

Bruce

Attachments

• NewSoilStack.jpg
    NewSoilStack.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 119

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You will have to install the floor drain vent before you pour the floor, regardless of whether you run it the rest of the way now or later. The "main pipe" CANNOT be the vent for the floor drain.

Bcarlson78248

Reaction score
I will definitely have to install the vents before I pour the cement, but I'm just trying to verify the layout all before I start breaking up cement.

The part of the code I find confusing is the section on "combination drain and vent" systems. It seems to say that for floor drains, by oversizing the drain pipe there are cases where you can have it also serve as a vent, but I assume there are some other considerations, and they are not explained.

Bruce

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks