vent pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Building an addition that will include a straight line of fixtures, toilet, shower, vanity and 2nd kitchen sink.
They are all lined up on one wall except for the vanity which is on the opposite side in the new bathroom. The waste line is embedded in the concrete slab running to the toilet followed by further PVC to the other fixtures and included a P-trap for the shower. This waste line connects to the existing house waste underground at a Y-adapter heading to the septic system...all positions approved by the local code. Carpentry is happening now. I'm very handy and have already switched out an old water heater for a larger capacity unit in a new position to serve the whole house and plan to run PEX incoming water into the new addition. I think it's necessary to add a vent pipe in the addition but am not sure that's the case. Unfortunately, I ALSO think it would have been best to add the vent line to the waste line embedded in the concrete but it's too late for that. Can it be a single pipe at the far end of the configuration I described? Or is a second vent pipe needed for the vanity since it's not in the same direct line? I'm thinking it should connect beyond the last fixture which is where the last branch of the waste line is. Thanks very much.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can wet vent a single bathroom group IF the layout is proper, but that group and the kitchen sink would both need a vent. Those vents could be combined before they go out the roof. So, from what you've described, you need at least 2 vents, and maybe more, depending on how things are actually arranged and the size of the pipes involved.

Reaction score
Think of my case as an "L" shape. The bathroom vanity is on the tip of the short end, the toilet's in the corner and the shower is in the middle of the long side. The kitchens on the other side of the wall separating the bathroom and that sink on on the end of the long side of the "L" about eight feet from the shower. So do I need to vent the two end spots, in other words the vanity and the kitchen sink? In that case the air AND wasterwater would all move toward the toilet...which is where the waste exits the addition. Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks