Vent Pipe???

Users who are viewing this thread

Ryanfornkohl

Reaction score
The black cast iron pipe to the left of the stack....is this a vent? It does not connect to anything other than the stack. It connects at the basement (also same pipe on left but is painted silver.) 53" above basement floor and runs parallel along stack until it rises 39" above finish floor and then ties back into stack. Is this a wet vent? I've been doing some reading and can't seem to determine what is going on. Long story short, starting to think I should have hired a licensed plumber before getting into this. Thanks

Attachments

• 20170719_224341.jpg
    20170719_224341.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 323
  • 20170719_224411.jpg
    20170719_224411.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 344

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Okay, that's just weird.
It appears to be a vent that does nothing. What I see is two lavs that wet vent one over the other and then over the toilet and tub. That looks fine.
Thanks for posting the picture.

Ryanfornkohl

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick comment! My co worker who used to draft mechanical plans was trying to tell me that that it was an essential part of the wet vent system. Anyhow, my plan is to replace the cast iron with pvc and he kept insisting that the pipe parallel to the vent needed to go back in too. Looks like I'll be leaving it out.

Ryanfornkohl

Reaction score
I tried to upload a pic through my phone, but file size is too large. The washer's flex drain is routed into a 1.5" pvc pipe (to the left of the washer when facing) that is strapped to wall at 42" which dropps vertically along wall and then 90s horizonotal approx. 2' before 90-ing down to a floor drain.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The washer's flex drain is routed into a 1.5" pvc pipe (to the left of the washer when facing) that is strapped to wall at 42" which dropps vertically along wall and then 90s horizonotal approx. 2' before 90-ing down to a floor drain.

I would consider installing a washer drain off of the stack, and venting that using the "vent" that you have now. Or if going with plastic, then revent on the next floor at 42". Either way, the washer would revent on the floor above.

Ryanfornkohl

Reaction score
I would consider installing a washer drain off of the stack, and venting that using the "vent" that you have now. Or if going with plastic, then revent on the next floor at 42". Either way, the washer would revent on the floor above.

Thats a good idea, thanks. I will incorporate that into my plan. I got so focused on other things that I didnt consider doing that.

Ryanfornkohl

Reaction score

Okay, that's just weird.
It appears to be a vent that does nothing. What I see is two lavs that wet vent one over the other and then over the toilet and tub. That looks fine.
Maybe an attempt to "back vent"? Attached is a link on back venting.
Okay, that's just weird.
Possibly parallel pipe is "back venting". Attached is a link on back venting.

link architecture/Construction-House/The-More-Complicated-Back-Vent-System.html

Ryanfornkohl

Reaction score
Okay, that's just weird.

Just wanted to give an update in case someone else stumbles across this:

I spoke to the code officials last week here in St. Louis. They asked when my house was built and I told them in the 50's. They said that a vent pipe like this was common during that era. He explained that this pipe was added so that someone may tie into the system for future expansion of dwv.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks