Vent Pipe Undersized

Users who are viewing this thread

TeeB

Reaction score
I recently discovered that the vent pipe from my kitchen sink and dishwasher is undersized. The contractor routed what looks like 1" pipe through the wall (presumably because there wasn't enough room to route 2" pipe), which then feeds into a 2" pipe that leaves the house. There is no transition/connector piece between the 1" pipe and the 2" pipe. The 1" pipe simply sits inside the diameter of the 2" pipe. The "connection" point is about 2 feet below the roof. I am able to see this only through the hole in the roof as all piping is behind the wall. To keep out debris and rain, the contractor also added a 180 degree elbow to the top of the 2" pipe through the roof. I believe per code, the 1" pipe and elbow are both not permitted. I am wondering what I am risking by maintaining this setup. Why is 1.25" vent pipe the minimum allowed per code? Is there conservatism built into the code? It seems that any dangerous gasses would still be able to exit the house, although if obstructed by the small diameter pipe or elbow heavy particles may fall back into the house behind the wall?
Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks