Vent Pipe Under Soffit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Wren

Reaction score
I'm having some difficulty with placing the vent for the full bath wet vent that services the water closet, lavatory, and shower in our full bath. The only place the vent can be located if it goes through the roof is right under the soffit for the main part of the house. The bathroom was an addition and was built as a lean-to.

There aren't any soffit vents near where the pipe would come through the roof, but I'm concerned about how close it is to the soffit and main structure.

I'm wondering if I could get away with an AAV for this vent that serves the above fixtures. The washer ties into this branch downstream. I was going to use an AAV for the washing machine, but because it's in a better location for a roof vent I might use one at that location if it would be helpful.

I'm not certain that an AAV would provide adequate venting for a WC. Would it?

One thing I thought of would be to put an quarter-turn vent elbow on top of the pipe and then go horizontally until I get out from under the soffit, add an another elbow, and then turn up to get above the facia/roof line that's above the vent in the photo. I fear that it might be unsightly with all of those bends.

Continuing upwards through the soffit and through the main roof above would be possible in theory, but it sounds like a nightmare trying to get that worked out, so I've more-or-less given up on that idea.

Here's a mock up of what I have:

R9s8lxD.jpg

vtMpBKI.jpg

This is my plan for the vents for this bath/utility room. Washing machine is farthest to the left.

f7CGgXx.jpg

Any insights would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm wondering if I could get away with an AAV for this vent that serves the above fixtures. The washer ties into this branch downstream.
Yes, for IPC.

There needs to be a real thru the roof vent in the system that you are draining into.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think I'd just put a90 and a critter screen on it. Turn it out away from the edge of the fascia.

Wren

Reaction score
I think I'd just put a90 and a critter screen on it. Turn it out away from the edge of the fascia.

I think the AAV option is going to be the easiest here as I won't be working in such a tight space and it will be easier to put the through-roof vent over the washing machine drain.

Yes, for IPC.

There needs to be a real thru the roof vent in the system that you are draining into.

I could use a through-the-roof vent for the washing machine instead of an AAV as I had planned (washer is on side wall and is several feet from the overhang) and there's another roof vent in the half bath in another part of the house.

My main concern was whether the AAV would provide adequate venting for the WC.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
If aesthetics aren't an issue throw a couple 45 s on run up next to the facia board a 2 hole strap securing it

Wren

Reaction score
One reason that I didn't want to run up and around the eave is that there really should be a gutter on that facia. It can't be seen in the photo, but there's a roof valley that dumps quite a lot of water on the lower roof in one spot. That sort of situation has lead to premature leaking on our old house, so I would like to head it off with a gutter if possible.
All in all, I think I'm liking the AAV idea the best.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks