Vent Pipe location question ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Beachfront71

Reaction score
Hello and thanks,

We are starting a bathroom remodel, I will be building the wet walls and a licensed plumber will do the plumbing work .. with that in mind I had a quick question that could effect how the walls are built...

My question is does a vent pipe have to fall downstream of the drain?

I know it has to be within a certain # of feet depending on the size but I am wondering if it can be located in the opposite direction the water will flow ... meaning...

Lets say you had a bath and the drain ran south to the main stack .. could the vent pipe be located North of the drain ?

I hope that makes sense and appreciate the feedback.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It doesn't, and even if it did you would have to contact your plumber. HE is going to install the pipe the way he wants, or has to, which is probably NOT the way you think he should or want him to. If I understand your question, however, it appears you want an upstream flat vent which would not be approved.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The vent can travel any which way...air doesn't care...but the pipe must not have any bellies in it and can not be less than 45 degrees from horizontal, where it is less than 42" above the floor

Beachfront71

Reaction score
PIc attached

thanks guys.. this quick picture sort of shows what I mean ...

the tub drains under the room (towards the north) which leaves no spot for a vent except in the walls on the opposite side of the tub (towards the south) ...

I understand the plumber will figure this out but I like the multiple opinions option when figuring these things out..and a bit of peace of mind

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 581
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I understand the plumber will figure this out but I like the multiple opinions option when figuring these things out

YOU do not understand. The plumber WILL figure this out, but he will NOT consult with you as to how he does it, period. He will decide how to do it and then tell YOU how to revise the walls if necessary, unless he has limited ability and cannot figure it out himself. I can almost guarantee, that the way I would install it would not be anywhere close to how you THINK I should do it.

It is like a motel job I was doing decades ago. It just happened that my neighbor was the carpenter foreman on the job. I asked him, nicely, to cut the floors open so I could install my plumbing. He told me that it was the plumber's job to do it. I then informed him that I had absolutely NO problem doing it, but HE would be VERY unhappy when he had to put it back together. His crews did cut the floors.

Beachfront71

Reaction score
Person performing works for a commercial plumber and is an old friend of the family I have pulled all the subfloor with the hopes of keeping everything within the bays and not having much drywall work in the garage .....

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is possible for the vent to be where you have drawn it but, no part of it can be horizontal until it is 6" above the flood level rim or the highest fixture which I assume will be the lav. If the lav is installed upstream also then that pipe becomes a section of wet vent and if properly sized and within code distance would be allowable.

Beachfront71

Reaction score
Well, here is what I think is going to work after meeting with the city ...

the green circles are vent locations, the large green circle is also the main going down ..
All the distances fall within CA code, the only problem is we have to jump a couple of joist bays to do it ..

Bath and shower will be 2" and combine together after the vents to the main 3" down .. after pulling up the subfloor, we have 2x10 joists with what seems to be ample room to keep everything inside ..
from the bathtub drain to the North wall is approx 11 feet so we are looking at 2.5 inches of slope ..

***on a side note: is there a problem with having the ptrap of the tub approx 30 inches to the right of the drain instead of centered w the drain? The reason being is the tub is centered on a 21 inch beam and due to the beam location we can not run the overflow pipes without moving the tub farther away from the wall (which we do not want to do) so I was going to have them reroute the overflow around the tub to the right side and then down into the floot to connect with the drain ...

Thanks for the feedback ..

Attachments

• 34eyt4y[1].jpg
    34eyt4y[1].jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 533
Last edited:

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
I don`t see any thing wrong as long as vent to trap distance is observed, the sink,tub & shower drains tie in below the toilet on the main stack.

Beachfront71

Reaction score
thanks and yes.. the shower and bath vents are both under 5 feet from the ptrap..

all the vent pipes will tie in once they reach the attic, the drain pipes will tie into the main 3" drain that will flow down below the toilet ..

appreciate the feedback..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks