Vent connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYluke

Reaction score
Good afternoon all.
When connecting a vertical vent pipe (dry vent, in this case 1.5") to a horizontal drain (in this case the shower drain, 2", with the shower trap about within 2'6" of the vent connection) am I required to use a wye & 1/8 or can I use a sanitary tee on its back?
Does it make a difference if the fittings vertical connection is pointing straight up vs. rolled 45°?

Thanks in advance.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Required by who? It depends on where you are. Here (King County, WA), horiz. santees are accepted in many (but not all) cases.
You need to be asking this question of your local plumbing authority.

DIYluke

Reaction score
Ok, will do.
I was just wondering if it is a solution that works. I'll ask my local inspector.
Thanks for the info.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Using a combo or a wye with 45 on it's back works for venting any horizontal line. I believe this was changed sometime back because sometimes when new plumbing was added, they wanted to allow for future wet venting. Not that the new stuff added was correct, but a fitting with a sweep from vertical to horizontal works better in that situation.
If it's vertical, then it needs to be a santee.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks