Vent Bends Question

Users who are viewing this thread

John1979

Reaction score
I'm adding a second floor bathroom. Unfortunately, the 1st floor wet wall doesn't line up with the 2nd floor wet wall. I'm trying to avoid having to do a bump out with the new wall to allow the toilet 2" vent pipe to go straight up from the low heel 90 shown in the 3 pics. The 3" horizontal waste line shown in the pics is only running to a toilet. No other fixtures on it.

Question for the group. Can I run the (2) 90's as shown in the pic with text labeled 90's? This offsets the vent pipe right where I want it in the new wall and will stay under the new subfloor.

If not can I run 45's? Doesn't work as good as the 90's but still better than having to run the pipe straight up and bump the wall out 6" to hide.

Third pic shows the pipe going up vertical. In all three scenarios only the toilet will be vented on this line and remainder of vent pipe will be run to main vent stack.

Thanks

IMG_0372.jpg IMG_0370.jpg IMG_0374.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Question for the group. Can I run the (2) 90's as shown in the pic with text labeled 90's? This offsets the vent pipe right where I want it in the new wall and will stay under the new subfloor.
Under IPC, I think no.
If not can I run 45's?
Yes. That 45 into the top of the sanitary tee is a street 45, right?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
2 (45)s are OK; (2) 90s are not. The former is considered staying vertical; the latter would have a horizontal vent segment, which is not allowed until 6" above the flood rim of the WC.

Another option is to move your vent takeoff lower down to within (or partially within) the wet wall below. That's because a WC doesn't have to comply with the trap weir rule, being a self-siphoning fixture with integral trap. So the vent takeoff can be at a lower elevation.

I.e. use a plain quarter bend (possibly street), then a 3x3x2 wye with the side branch as your vent take off (and the vent could be 1-1/2" under the IPC). With the street quarter bend, the vent takeoff might be high enough to still fit within the floor joist bay and the wet wall when it is in plane with the 3" drain; then the vent can just rise a little to a 45 under your upper vent wall.

Or if the wye is lower, you can turn it 90 degrees so that the wye lies in the plane of the lower wet wall. Then the vent goes vertical with a (possibly street) 45, then rises into the joist bay and hits a couple of 45s to jog over to the upper vent wall.

Cheers, Wayne

John1979

Reaction score
Under IPC, I think no.

Yes. That 45 into the top of the sanitary tee is a street 45, right?

Yep, that's a street. Thanks for the info Reach4! Looks like I'm going with the 45's. I already picked up a little floor air vent cover that hides it nicely.

John1979

Reaction score
2 (45)s are OK; (2) 90s are not. The former is considered staying vertical; the latter would have a horizontal vent segment, which is not allowed until 6" above the flood rim of the WC.

Another option is to move your vent takeoff lower down to within (or partially within) the wet wall below. That's because a WC doesn't have to comply with the trap weir rule, being a self-siphoning fixture with integral trap. So the vent takeoff can be at a lower elevation.

I.e. use a plain quarter bend (possibly street), then a 3x3x2 wye with the side branch as your vent take off (and the vent could be 1-1/2" under the IPC). With the street quarter bend, the vent takeoff might be high enough to still fit within the floor joist bay and the wet wall when it is in plane with the 3" drain; then the vent can just rise a little to a 45 under your upper vent wall.

Or if the wye is lower, you can turn it 90 degrees so that the wye lies in the plane of the lower wet wall. Then the vent goes vertical with a (possibly street) 45, then rises into the joist bay and hits a couple of 45s to jog over to the upper vent wall.

Cheers, Wayne

Thanks Wayne. Great info! I like your idea of dropping the vent down in the wet wall but I'm going to go with the 45's for this one. Thanks again Wayne!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks Wayne. Great info! I like your idea of dropping the vent down in the wet wall but I'm going to go with the 45's for this one. Thanks again Wayne!
45's are good . and agree Wayne brought up a great solution but if 45's work no need .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks