Variable speed compressor and air handler question

Users who are viewing this thread

tropostudio

Reaction score
In selecting ac equipment for a total gut and 2nd story addition to a 1915 bungalow, I'm trying to decide between:

1) a multi-zone mini split system with 2 heads/floor (5 heads total - 2 at second level, 2 at first level, 1 at basement (mostly for dehumidification). I like this option for the high SEER and ability to microzone. I'd probably use wall hung units to keep install simple, but not thrilled about the plethora of refrigerant lines that'll be concealed in walls and pop out near the condenser.

2) a single zone mini-split condenser and matched air handler (probably LG), running conventional ductwork to sub-areas/rooms. I like that the condenser will be VFD as opposed to 1 or 2 stage, but then it's coupled with a pretty inefficient air handler - something that swings between only ~800-950 cfm. The ductwork would be a PITA, but solvable with a few soffits.

I thought about a high-velocity split system to make running ducts easier. The noise, additional materials cost and fact that the ECM air handler is still paired with a less-than-optimal condenser turns me off

Does anyone sell to DIY a VFD condenser + ECM air handler system? Seems like that would be a good way to go. If it could be interfaced with some actuated dampers you'd have a a highly tunable system with only 1 run of refrigerant lines. An air handler would have to go above 2nd floor bath ceiling and used for cooling only. HAve a new mod con boiler and Myson emitter set-up for heating.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
All dealers in the USA can only sell to EPA certified techs. If they do sell to the average DIY joe, they are subject to some serious fines. Your best bet is to get a HVAC guy to work with. He or she will know the best way to go and perhaps you can do all the install of duct work, etc and the tech do the final install of the A/C system.

tropostudio

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I can buy complete mini split systems, conventional split systems, and even high velocity AC equipment as a consumer online, but the few truly variable speed condensers for 'conventional' split systems out there look to be through contractors only. Maybe it's because they are new to market, top of line, and it's about profitability?

City of St. Paul in MN allows homeowners to do their own HVAC and AC equipment install. Only thing I think that requires certification is if I had to remove or add refrigerant.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks