Vanity Top Too Thick to Mount Sink?

Users who are viewing this thread

sanrico

Reaction score
We are tiling a vanity top and I just drilled the holes for the faucet. The vanity top is 3/4" thick, plus there is 1/2" Hardibacker board. On top of that, there will be thinset and thick tile.

In my first picture, I've placed a tile on the vanity top (with some spacers to simulate the thinset). You can see that altogether, it's just shy of 2".

In the second picture, I'm measuring the threads for the faucet we are installing. You can see it's 2". Ouch!

What do I do to install this sink? Do I need to get under the sink and use a drill to countersink the vanity wood top from underneath? Or is there some sort of extender I need to purchase?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Attachments

• DSC01858.jpg
    DSC01858.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 531
  • DSC01859.jpg
    DSC01859.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 497

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can't snug the securing nuts for the faucet on wood,
it will keep compressing.

You will need to cut out the wood below the stone.

Most stone installers don't cut all the way through.
Most leave the wood there, then you can take your hole saw from the top, and drill your pilot in from the top,
Then drop down below and find the pilot hole underneath, and drill the wood out.

Eye protection!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hole saw

This one does have the hole all the way through. You take one hole saw, the size of the hole, and "duplex" it with the one the size you need. The directions how to do it will come with the hole saw. Then you drill from the underside. The smaller hole saw will center the larger one as you cut into the wood.

sanrico

Reaction score
I had a feeling I wouldn't find some sort of threaded sleeve/extender.

It's good to know that I can't snug the securing nuts on the wood. I didn't know that. I thought the wood would be a good anchoring point.

I ended up doing the hole saw thing. Thank you all for your help! It is very much appreciated. This forum is a great help.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You take one hole saw, the size of the hole, and "duplex" it with the one the size you need. The directions how to do it will come with the hole saw. Then you drill from the underside. The smaller hole saw will center the larger one as you cut into the wood.
hj

hj,
Thanks for that tip.
I could have used that a few times.

Export!

DIY Member
Reaction score
This one does have the hole all the way through. You take one hole saw, the size of the hole, and "duplex" it with the one the size you need. The directions how to do it will come with the hole saw. Then you drill from the underside. The smaller hole saw will center the larger one as you cut into the wood.

That is G.D. genius. I guess I should have read my hole saw instructions at least once over the years.

Esquire

Plumber
Reaction score
I think I get what you're saying, and from what I'm picturing it does sound brilliant. I would love to see a picture of it exactly though. I haven't been at this racket long but I know I could have used this method before.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
duplexing

The directions are in the hole saw box, but in effect, you remove the top lock ring on the large arbor and unscrew the retaining nut. Then you screw the larger hole saw onto the top of the arbor, and replace the retainer and locking pins, then screw the small one on the bottom normally.

IrishHandyman

Handyman/ Day laborer
Reaction score
Ok I will jump on this bandwagon of folks patting you on the back HJ.
How much royalty do I have to pay when I 'borrow' your suggestion? In my line of work I can see other applications this would work like a charm. Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks