Vanity sink and installation

Users who are viewing this thread

Karen01

Reaction score
We are planning bathroom renovation. Because of the small size of the bathroom we have to use an 36" X 18" vanity so the top will need to be 37" X 19".

We are planning to use 3 CM thick granite top. The granite place we talked say they can put in a 16"X 11" (internal, 18" X 13" external) rectangular porcelain undermount sink... In general is that size sink OK with that size vanity/granite top in terms of the granite supporting it? Not a lot of granite left in terms of counter depth!

Secondly because of the limited space we are not planning on having a granite backsplash, but the wall behind the vanity will be tiled... The tile has a "textured/bumpy" surface to mimic a natural stone with little bumps/dips (not sure am describing right)...

Anyway as there will not be a backsplash integrated with the vanity top, I do worry front water getting behind the granite top and and making its way down the back of the vanity and causing issues. I don't know ow much of a real concern that is.

The vanity is designed to look like a piece of furniture and has faux legs.

On line I have some seen some say:

1) just put the vanity and the top against the tile wall and leave it at that

2) Do the above but caulk the granite top to face of the wall tile with either clear silicone caulk or one that matches the grout colors against the surface of the bumpy wall tile.

3) Cut the tile so that the tile sites OVER back edge of the granite top and caulk the joint... But I think that means the one would need to tile around all the vanity edges...
While I think the would the the most watertight, I think that would mean tiling round the the whole of the vanity "burying" the vanity in the wall... and I am not sure that is the right thing to do with a furniture style vanity.

Not sure if there are any other options.

So should I be worried about water getting behind the vanity and doing damage with method 1

If so is method 2 enough to prevent such damage?

If not, is option 3 the the only safe solution or are there other options?

Thanks,
-Karen

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks