Vanity pop-up drain seal leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Construct30

Reaction score
A drain installed with silicone comes out and cleans up easy

Any one who makes that statement has never had to use a hammer to break a silicone seal. And as far as cleaning one up, it is cheaper and faster to toss it and use a new one.

Took one out a few weeks ago that I put in myself with 100% silicone. It was a cultured marble sink with a brass drain assembly. The sink was broken. I loosened the nut on the bottom wobbled the drain from under a little, came right out. Unscrewed the flange the silicone came off it just by rubbing. I reused it in the new sink. I have removed a few faucets with silicone to scrap them, never had much trouble with any of them. I never tried to clean a cheap plastic one, but the brass ones are not a problem in my experience. A lot of people use silicone around here so I have had to remove a few. Never ran into a situation like you said I'd rather be lucky than good, maybe I'm just both.:)

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'll agree with HJ... Fixtures glued together with Silicone RTV is a major PITA!:mad:

I use Hercules Sta-Put Plumbers Ultra Putty which is safe for all surfaces.

staput-ultra.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks