Vanity Install Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Baron

Reaction score
I am in the process of installing a new vanity -- and noticed in the installation instructions - it only mentions to secure the vanity to the wall with screws.

It does not mention securing the sink bowl itself to the wall -- it shows just placing on top of the base.

Any advice?

Attachments

• euro_vanity.jpg
    euro_vanity.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 319

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Do they mention using something like silicon to seat the bowl to the vanity? If the sink isn't attached to something, either the vanity or the wall, I'd not be happy. Does the sink have holes in the back to allow mounting to the wall? If so, I'd put in blocking in the wall and use those bolts with a wood screw on one end and machine screw on the other (can't remember their name right now?!). Well, since you wouldn't be holding the sink up while trying to tighten, assuming you could get to screws, I guess you could use screws after it was sitting in the vanity. Or, just glue it to the vanity with some silicon...

Baron

Reaction score
Thanks Jim for the advice.

Yes -- the sink has (2) mounting holes

What do you think mounting the vanity and sink using some heavy duty wall anchors and also attaching the sink to vanity with silicone?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A couple of screws through the support bar at the back of the cabinet into studs or blocking will hold it fine. If the vanity doesn't fit tight to the wall, scribe a line and sand to fit. A belt sander works great for this. You want the top of the vanity to be level, so you may have to shim if the floor isn't. As to anchoring the sink to the wall - depends on how it sits in the vanity. By screwing it into the wall, you'd minimize any gap, but then if the wall wasn't plumb to the cabinet, it might not sit properly in the cabinet. I'd be more inclined to have it set properly in the cabinet. Silicon alone would anchor it fine to the cabinet, then if the cabinet was anchored to the wall it should be quite solid.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Often inexpensive vanities are open at the top and it is intended that a one piece bowl-counter top be set on it. Use a silicon caulk to hold the top in place. It won't go anywhere once the caulk has set. It can be separated later for replacement if necessary. If the top does not have a back splash, you can add one easily. This will also allow you to make up for a wall that is slightly uneven.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks