Vanity gap suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jason Kay

Reaction score
Hi. Any suggestions to solve this gap between the wall and vanity counter top? The vanity came with a backsplash, which I didn't want to use. Thinking I may have to get a separate 3" backsplash and create a side splash with it, although I hate that look, which is why I tiled to the countertop in the first place. gap seems to big to caulk. Any good ideas? Thanks.

IMG_1448.jpg
IMG_1447.jpg
IMG_1450.jpg
IMG_1446.jpg

Jason Kay

Reaction score
Hi. Any suggestions to solve this gap between the wall and vanity counter top? The vanity came with a backsplash, which I didn't want to use. Thinking I may have to get a separate 3" backsplash and create a side splash with it, although I hate that look, which is why I tiled to the countertop in the first place. gap seems to big to caulk. Any good ideas? Thanks.
I’ll add that the gap is 1/4 inch at its largest.

ArayT

Reaction score
Really based on preference. 1/4" gap is doable w caulk but recommend filling the void w backer material prior to installing. There are several types of trim available that can be used but again based on personal preference.

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
I've always avoided issues like that by installing the cabinet/countertop prior to the tile, and then tiling to the cabinet/top surfaces, but that ship has sailed here.

You absolutely can do something about the gap without using any trim or a lot of caulk. I don't know how handy you are, but.....

If you scribe the back and side edges of the countertop, you should be able to get a whole lot closer to the wall. A gap of 1/16 should be attainable, and then with some painters tape and silicone you should be able to get a very nicely trimmed caulking line.

If you really wanted to make it tight you could remove the tiles that are 'in the way', slide the countertop backward & sideways a bit, and then cut your tiles to where they meet the countertop more cleanly.

For either of these 'solutions' it's important that you have enough overhang on the front and opposite end of the cabinet.

Best of luck in any case!

Howard Emerson

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
And this is why we have backsplashes. Walls are never totally straight, despite what they say in the movies.
Yes, but a rigid backsplash will not conform to the curves if the wall is wavy. Granted, with a tile backsplash one can vary the thickness of the thinset to even things out.

Some folks will, on new construction, use metal studs in that area to ensure the wall is straight. Others will notch and wedge/sister the studs to take out the waves. I knew of one reno contractor that went through the trouble to take off the vinyl siding, sheathing, and insulation so he could notch and wedge/sister the studs to straighten the wall that was bad.

In my bathroom, when I replaced a pedestal sink with a vanity with granite countertop and backsplash, I cut out the drywall behind the cabinet below counter height, removed all nearby drywall screws, and drove shims between the studs and drywall to get a perfectly flat wall for the backsplash.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'll second scribing the wall contour to the top and then sanding it so it's more even unless you want to play more with removing some tile. THere's usually a little overhang that is provided to allow that to happen. YOu have to be careful to keep things square.

If the tile has some quarter-round, you might be able to use that to hide the uneven edge, but you may not like the look, and finding matching trim is rare these days.

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
Do you have space to move the vanity six inches to the right? When I did mine I purposely did not go hard into the corner for that reason.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks