Vanity Drawer hitting P-Trap

Users who are viewing this thread

dodgerblue31

Reaction score
Hi,

I purchased a vanity with a full bottom drawer and as you can see by the pictures the drawer is hitting the P-Trap. I was hoping to get an idea on how to re-route the P-trap so it's sitting back further in the cabinet.

I've came across this thread from the forum and it seems like what is needed but I do not have an IKEA sink.

I have three ideas none that makes sense but that's why I'm asking the forum.
  1. Cut open the drywall and cut the PVC pipe and extend the pipe higher so the bottom of the P-Trap is above the min 16" from the floor that is needed to close the drawer correctly
  2. Re-Route P-Trap
  3. Notch out the drawer itself (last resort)
low-p-trap-cut-1.jpg

20141208_084123.jpg

Thank you in advance for your comments!

BlueDodger31

Buffalo NY

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
You could look for a shallower P trap. Try this search in a search engine to see the concept:
"shallow p trap" lavatory .
Your P-trap looks rather deep. Even this cheap ordinary P trap looks shallower: http://www.homedepot.com/p/DBHL-1-1...-with-Threaded-PVC-Adapter-HDP9704B/202078166 That is a 1-1/2 inch example, but they have similar 1-1/4 too.

If you go into the wall, you have a "sanitary tee" normally. So you could cut out the existing one, and mount one higher.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Replacing the P trap is the simplest and quickest way to solve your problem.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
In many cases, because of the way the pipe is installed, #1 may not be possible. A metal 1 1/4" "P" trap MAY be a little bit shallower, but you will probably still have to notch the drawer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks