Valves for Shower and Tub

Users who are viewing this thread

JHelder

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations on new shower/bath valves (part behind the wall that mixes hot and cold water) that have excellent water temperature stability when experiencing a pressure differential. Anything on the market right now is anti-scald and safe, but I can't find any reviews that detail behavior when other common bathroom events occur that affect water flow: flush toilet, sink on/off, etc.

I have two bathrooms that are fed from a single 3/4" hot and 3/4" cold water feed. Right now, both shower valves are dumb feeds without any anti-scald. I think new thermostatic valves are the way to go, but cross-comparing brands has proven difficult (Delta, Speakman, Moen, Kohler, Grohe, Hansgrohe, …). The sales literature only lists the basic temperature stability (and lots of shiny control levers), but not response times or damping curves to consider the carry-through during shock events. Grohe gets close with a sales cartoon of how their product performs (image attached), but it seems related to safety performance than comfort.

Does anyone have a similar plumbing arrangement and what do you think of their shower valve performance when other people are using trunked fixtures? Are the electronic units any better?

Grohe Turbostat.png

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
All of the pressure balanced valves work very well. Thermostatic too.
Some plumbers like Delta, some Moen and some Kohler.
I've used pretty much everything, and you can pretty much pick a style you like and be good.
Others are Grohe, Hansgrohe, Phister, American Standard,

That being said, on my mothers home that was older, I switched three bathrooms to the old Moen single handles. Then I took a shower in a 36" shower stall while someone was working the kitchen faucet. I then went back and installed three Moen Posi-Temp valves. Those worked fine.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pressure balanced valve workk almost "instantaneously", Theremostatic can have a slight "lag" time while they adjust to the changes in water temperature.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks