Valley 1970s shower cartridge removal

Users who are viewing this thread

GH422

Reaction score
I'm hoping you all can help with this. I'm trying to replace this 1970s shower cartridge as my shower has a slow drip leak at spout. I already replaced the spout. I can't even figure out how to remove it since it doesn't seem to have any logical way to get it open. I do know that the silver ring behind the front outer shell thing just spins freely. Also, any ideas who the cartridge manufacturer is?

Pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic3.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
From the photo that shows the trim ring being cut to accommodate the tub spout being installed too close, it looks like maybe your better option might be to replace the whole setup and install the tub spout lower or the control valve higher in the wall. Its very likely that setup has been letting water into the wall and causing more damage.

GH422

Reaction score
From the photo that shows the trim ring being cut to accommodate the tub spout being installed too close, it looks like maybe your better option might be to replace the whole setup and install the tub spout lower or the control valve higher in the wall. Its very likely that setup has been letting water into the wall and causing more damage.
I did take a look back there and I didn't see or feel any water damage, seemed pretty dry. I did think that was strange as well, for the record. I will be remodeling the shower eventually but I have a furnace/ac to buy first so it's going to have to wait.

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your valve was made by Valley. It's their pressure balance series. The factory cartridge is still made by Tapco in Pa. Most wholesalers can purchase them or available online. The pdf is the parts sheet.

Attachments

• Valley P_B-compressed.pdf
    129.5 KB · Views: 136

GH422

Reaction score
Your valve was made by Valley. It's their pressure balance series. The factory cartridge is still made by Tapco in Pa. Most wholesalers can purchase them or available online. The pdf is the parts sheet.
Amazing, thank you.

GH422

Reaction score
I want to thank you all again for your help. I was finally able to replace the cartridge yesterday and while it was a pain getting it just right, I was able to do it myself with no prior experience. I had a plumber who came and refused to even remove the old cartridge and asked me for advice on what to do. I still can not believe that was the case, but it's what happened. I was waiting for him to get back to me as he said he was going to order the part, the wrong part, and come back to install it. He never contacted me again. I again just wanted to extend my gratitude as you all were extremely helpful in identifying the correct part for me and for countless others in this community.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks