Vacuum Breaker Help for frostfree hosebib.

Users who are viewing this thread

dpeacock

Reaction score
Looking to find a replacement vacuum breaker for a hose bibb. I picked one up at home depot but it didn't fit right, it looks like different size/threading. The hose bibb doesn't fit a standard garden hose and that's all it looks like home depot here in Canada has.

Wondering if anyone can help identify the hose bib in the picture? Any advice as to what the proper vacuum breaker should be and where to get it in Canada?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While there are add-on vacuum breakers that fit a 'normal' hose bib, if the faucet came with the vacuum breaker integrated, and that part has failed, then you often need to find out who made the valve you have, and get an exact replacement. Failing that, you may need to bite the bullet and replace the whole thing.

dpeacock

Reaction score
I thought I had included a picture of the hose bib, but looks like I didn't. Hopefully someone can help recognize this logo?

IMG_20160530_225646530.jpg

For reference the old vacuum breaker had the markings 'TECK 12 B64.2 125 PSI 180F ASSE 1011' on it in case that helps...

Reach4

Reaction score
T may stand for Teck. The name seems to be associated with Cambridge Brass. Maybe they bought some of the lines. Maybe they just carried the products made elsewhere. http://www.cambridgebrass.com/sef/catalog/category/0.html references Teck a couple of times.

See post 3 on https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/help-with-noisy-vacuum-breaker.6737/
I wonder if that fine thread is common to any other makers. If you find a replacement that matches, I trust you will follow up with what you found to help others later.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
On hose bibs designed with integrated vacuum breakers, they make the threads to hold the thing purposely different than the ones for the hose so people can't just remove it, and then hook up a hose without the vacuum breaker being installed. That part is likely used by more than one manufacturer, but I don't think there is a standard, which is why you need to know who made it, or take careful measurements so you can get one that will fit. There are aftermarket add-on vacuum breakers, but those have hose threads on both ends...wont' work on one designed from the start to have one on it.

dpeacock

Reaction score
Still don't have a replacement part for this yet, but I believe I've got a bit of insight. The vacuum breaker was likely made by Cambridge Brass which was a Masco company pre-2006 which is the time frame this would have been originally installed. In contacting Masco they indicated their vacuum breakers are now branded Delta Rough Brass and there are a number of different parts (32W600, 210081A and 120022A) with an internal repair kit (500066A). In my case I believe what I need is the 120022A because of the diameter/threading and the hydrant has an air intake. I've attached a picture below from Masco that explains the different parts. Masco says they have them available in stock, just need to find a retailer that will special order it now as it seems no one has these in stock or knows about them. Hopefully it's helpful to others!

masco_vacuum_breaker.JPG

dpeacock

Reaction score
Final update - couldn't find or get anyone to order the 120022A for me even though Masco had them in stock. Ended up ordering a 32W600 as most places were stocking that item. The 32W600 is two pieces, the one bottom piece is the 120022A so just disassembled it and attached that to the hose bib - now it's good as new. Hopefully this post is helpful to someone in the future :)

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Final update - couldn't find or get anyone to order the 120022A for me even though Masco had them in stock. Ended up ordering a 32W600 as most places were stocking that item. The 32W600 is two pieces, the one bottom piece is the 120022A so just disassembled it and attached that to the hose bib - now it's good as new. Hopefully this post is helpful to someone in the future :)

If Masco has the parts in stock, they should be able to give you the name of one of the companies that buys from them and sells retail.

papa winluk

Reaction score
If Masco has the parts in stock, they should be able to give you the name of one of the companies that buys from them and sells retail.

The part that seems to fail on these assemblies is a rubber washer in the vacuum breaker section. If you take the pieces apart, being careful not to distort the threaded section of the brass fittings, you can try and order a new washer or make one yourself. The part number on the rubber washer is 30173. I did find an entire replacement part at Wolsely Plumbing in Edmonton, Alberta.

Montana16

Reaction score
Hi I am in the exact same situation as you were in. Identical hose bib. My old vacuum breaker is leaking like crazy. It is the 120022A. I ordered and now have the 32W600. My question is how did you disassemble it? I tried pliers, but it won't budge. Any advice would be much appreciated. This has been incredibly frustrating since all the store vacuum breakers are for 3/4 inch hose bibs and mine is 1 1/4 inches. Anyway, I would not have gotten anywhere near figuring this out without your posts. Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
I tried pliers, but it won't budge.
Turning it the right way?

From head on, it will be CCW. But from above, it will seem like CW.

If the problem is the pliers slip, a 10-inch curved-jaw locking pliers might grip better.

milwaukee-locking-pliers-2.jpg

channel-lock-pliers.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Montana16

Reaction score
Turning it the right way?

From head on, it will be CCW. But from above, it will seem like CW.

If the problem is the pliers slip, a 10-inch curved-jaw locking pliers might grip better.
Ok. I was finally able to separate the two pieces. I was turning it in the right direction. However, it took all of my body weight to get the two pieces to unscrew.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
It sounds like they may have used a thread locking compound on it so it wouldn't come apart as you were putting a hose on and off. Sometimes, a bigger wrench (or hammer!) is all you need. Can get scary if you're not sure, though...

Sparky13

Reaction score
Looking to find a replacement vacuum breaker for a hose bibb. I picked one up at home depot but it didn't fit right, it looks like different size/threading. The hose bibb doesn't fit a standard garden hose and that's all it looks like home depot here in Canada has.

Wondering if anyone can help identify the hose bib in the picture? Any advice as to what the proper vacuum breaker should be and where to get it in Canada?

Just want to thank you so much for starting this dire escapade of finding a repair kit for this same particular Frost free Hose Bib that was installed in our house when built in 2002. It started leak this year and will also be ordering a kit to put it back to normal. I had put a home made rubber gasket with a 5/8 center hole to allow full water flow as a temporary measure instead of replacing the whole valve which of course is a big pain. I must say however with no restriction, the kit being removed, the water flow was at least twice as strong in volume with the same 60 PSI I will miss that putting it back to normal. Thanks again for all those concerned in this venture.

AlexK1J

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First of all thanks much for these posts. I also have the same water bib that "dpeacock" posted a picture of on May 30, 2016. The problem with my hose bib is that water shoots out of the air intake bolt at the top (there's two small pinholes on either side of the bolt that the water shoots out of). I also went to Boone as per the post from "chrisasdf1234" on May 23, 2018 and bought the part that I thought would fix the problem https://www.boone.ca/en/products/fa...or-cb/?c=b9afe71c-0c19-43ea-8623-4a1a934f6383. I was so excited to get home and nail this problem once and for all. I installed the part I got from Boone and water was still shooting out of the air intake pinholes at the top (not the holes on the bottom of the vacuum breaker where the hose connects to). I've had a few people tell me I should just replace the entire hose bib but the piping is in a really awkward place in the wall (between joists, insulation etc.). Does anybody else have this problem where water shoots out the two pinholes in the air intake bolt on the top of the hose bib?

IMG_0827.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Unscrew that vacuum breaker from the top of the faucet. You did try cleaning what is inside. No fix. You already tried vacuum breaker repair kit. No fix.

I would unscrew that thing from the top, fill the insides with epoxy, let it harden, and screw back into place. I am not a plumber.

Last edited:

brbradbury

Reaction score
Good Day,

I would also like to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. Your helpful information allowed me to not only understand what my problem was but provided the solution. I was also worried about the amount of force needed to spin off the vacuum breaker and sure enough the joint had been sealed with a thread locking compound. I think this is going to become a more common problem as there were probably a lot of houses built at the turn of the century with this model of frost-free hose bib.

Out West the Vacuum Breaker Insert part is available at Andrew Sheret. However, I also found that I could obtain a replacement washer for the vacuum breaker insert at Home Depot and repair the insert instead of replacing it. Cost of $1 vs $10. Hope this information is helpful to someone else.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks