Vacation and Plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

06Honda

Reaction score
I plan on going on a longer than usual vacation this summer most likely for at least 3 weeks. My house has an inground sprinkler system; infloor hydronic heating system. My plan is to just leave the sprinkler system off, grass will come back. Infloor doesn't run in the summer any way. My main question is what to turn off, I was thinking shut off valves to toilet; washer; dishwasher; and sink faucets. My understanding is most leaks happen in these areas? For HWT tank that is gas, vacation mode; turn ignition for gas off (new tank has an auto ignition); turn off gas on tank itself and shutoff water to tank. I am on the correct track, if not set me straight. Normally we just go for a week and usually only put HWT in vacation mode and that's it. Thanks for any info.

Reach4

Reaction score
Turning off your water at your main water shut-off valve is probably easier, if it is readily accessible.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Turn water off at main, that covers the whole house no need to shut off at fixtures.Water heater set to vacation, gas should be okay not to turn off.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you have an icemaker, don't forget to set it to "full" or "off" before you shut off the water. Some of them will freeze the inlet valve if there is no water supply.

Atomic1

Reaction score
I shut water off at the main, turn off the HWT, and cut breakers to most of the house. Over the years, I have seem some crazy stuff happen when people are away, resulting in excess of $200,000 worth of damage. And just when you think you have it all covered, lightning will hit the house (like what happened to me). Have someone check in at least once a week!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks