1. loop1

loop1 New Member

I have a 5 gallon per minute ultraviolet sterilizer in my well system, and replace the UV lamp every year. The manufacturer-supplied replacement lamp costs about $75, while a generic "exact replacement lamp" costs about $20 less. Any reason why I shouldn't go with the generic?

2. ditttohead

ditttohead Water systems designer, R&D

Water systems designer, R&D, Technical Director
    Generic lamps can be a nightmare without a UV intensity meter. We have tested several of these really cheap UV lamps and so far none of the ultra low cost ones have been able to pass our testing. UV mJ/cm2 rates have dropped below 50% within as little as 6 months on some of the worst offenders. Consider almost any tool you can buy for 1/4th the cost of a good tool, how well do you think it will perform. If you need the UV due to a known bacterial issue then I would not recommend risking it.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    One way to make a lamp of this type last longer is to use a thicker coating on the insides. It's hard to say. It may have the same lumens when new, it may have a different degradation curve. It's possible it was made in the same factory and is identical.

5. loop1

loop1 New Member

6. loop1

loop1 New Member

Many thanks for the information. I will order a replacement lamp from the unit's manufacturer today.